Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Every week when I go to the wound clinic

I second the heel lift suspension boot and have been using them for at least three years now. I had a nasty heel ulcer which took forever to heal but haven't had one since using these boots.

Curt, I struggled with a sore for pretty much all of last year and I did not have any improvement from weekly wound care clinic visits. If it's not improving, I'd seek a second or third opinion as to a course of treatment.
    Daniel

Blog Entries
    I had a foot sore, and I changed dressing twice a day. Used hydrogel and covered it with gauze dampened with Vetericyn and covered it with microfiber (paper) tape. About once a week, after morning shower, I would debride the callus that built up around the edges. Took an 8mm sore about 3 months to heal.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Thanks so much for the help everyone. This is definatly going to take some time to get rid of for sure. I'm changing the dressing on it twice per day and keeping a close eye on it. I'm very nervous I might have a bone infection or something more serious going on and am going to contact my general doc on monday to see where to go from here. I thought maybe I could be tested today so I went to the ER, big mistake, waited two hours and they told me it was going to be a lot longer. I'll contact my doc first thing monday AM. I tried calling him from my cell while waiting in the waiting room at the ER, but the woman who called me back after leaving a message with the answering service hung up on me because she said it was bad cell signal. The medical care industry is a whole different animal than private business, I wish I coulda hung up on people when I was in business so I would'nt have had to work, but you can't do that sort of thing in the real world.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

i left mine alone like we talked the black finally flaked away, perfectly healed now. took 2 mths, it was only size of erASER TO begin with
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Wound

Hi Curt

Nu-Stock.... do some research.
    william

It's tempting to try that Nu-Stock, I just hate to ramdomly try things though that might make this thing worse. I think I'm just going to take care of it myself rather than the useless wound clinic I've been going to and do like what "Donno" did. To Debride it Donno, would just a finger nail work? my nails are getting long and need to be cut soon, but if thats gonna work I'll leave one finger with a longer nail, right after doing the Debriding I'll give the wound a shot of Vetericyn to clean it out.

Good news, I went for a handcycle ride today, first time in a while and did a 20 miler in around a hour and a half so if I do have Osteo hopefully it is not too bad a case. I think I should be tested for it though? What do ya all think. I'm starting to think the reason I've felt a little weak at times lately and a little sore in my joints might be because I havent been exercising any wheres near what I use to, if felt great to get out there on the handcycle today. Hopefully thats all it is, the thought of having Osteo is kinda freaking me out. You'd think the wound clinic woulda taken a Xray of my foot or something, all they wanted to do was Debride me and charge my insurance big bucks I guess. I feel like I've been used the past couple of months, not a good feeling, they must be billing around 800 bucks I'd guess to my insurance every time I go in there and the doc is in the room maybe 5 minutes, they have kept me waiting on average at least 1.5 to 2 hours before I even get in the room, it's a real time killer, it wrecks my day, no more, I've had enough.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

If it really needs debridement, then a chemical (enzymatic) debrider such as collagenase would be worth a try. Apply twice daily to the slough or eschar, cover with a moist (not wet) dressing, and then apply a cover dry dressing like Telfa and tape. If you don't have slough or eschar, you don't need debridement, but you still could have bone infection (osteomyelitis). Ask for a CRP blood level. This is nearly always elevated in osteomyelitis, and if it is, then an MRI may be indicated.

(KLD)

Thanks for the help, I'll request a blood test tomorrow for CRP. Good advice about the fingernail, was not thinking about the bacteria end of it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    You'd think the wound clinic woulda taken a Xray of my foot or something, all they wanted to do was Debride me and charge my insurance big bucks I guess.
    You can't see osteo on an x-ray. They can see the irritated tissues. From experience, I don't think it needs to be debrided every week. It seems from what you are describing they would be scraping away the skin trying to repair itself.

I would not put it past a wound clinic billing just because they can. I believe it could be exploited easily. One lady here had a hospital charging her a surgery charge for every debridement and $100 an outpatient visit.

I let a heel ulcer get really bad 20 years ago and ended up with osteo. They used packed mine with seaweed and the difference was amazing but my ulcer was too deep to repair itself by then.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown