Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just installed D's Locks

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I went with D's Locks because they are half the price but I also I contacted both and the fellow at Surelocks, well, he didn't inspire confidence in me. Since I hadn't used hub locks before I asked him (Jack at Surelock) what about the locks coming on accidentally and I swear his reply was, "You don't want to do that." I thought, okay, great.
    Jack is a one man shop and at least a slight mechanical genius. He's actually quite gracious and stands by his workmanship 100%. It's unfortunate that his communication skills occasionally lead to misunderstandings, but I find it amusing and a bit disingenuous of you to say that his answer to your question led to your not having confidence in his product, especially given the lengthy PMs you engaged me on over this and the context I provided. His answer might not have been the most artful one but I can assure you it did not contain so much as a molecule of sarcasm (that's simply not in Jack's DNA) nor is it reflected at all in the peerless quality of the product he puts out, which never fails to impress me.

Nothing personal but my response is not an invitation to get into an extended conversation about this. Or even one more post.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Jack is a one man shop and at least a slight mechanical genius. He's actually quite gracious and stands by his workmanship 100%. It's unfortunate that his communication skills occasionally lead to misunderstandings, but I find it amusing and a bit disingenuous of you to say that his answer to your question led to your not having confidence in his product, especially given the lengthy PMs you engaged me on over this and the context I provided. His answer might not have been the most artful one but I can assure you it did not contain so much as a molecule of sarcasm (that's simply not in Jack's DNA) nor is it reflected at all in the peerless quality of the product he puts out, which never fails to impress me.

Nothing personal but my response is not an invitation to get into an extended conversation about this. Or even one more post.
    Stephen, I appreciate all the help you gave me and don't know how I'm being disingenuous. From your post it seems I upset you saying what I did about talking with Jack. I have very little experience with him, just an email and a phonecall and both were confusing to me. It seemed like he stiffened up when I asked him about pricing. Just told me the price and stopped talking. So I was having a problem with confidence in him and the price was much higher than D's Locks. We talked and I think the quality may really be something to see but in the end the money decided me and my concern about working with Jack. His reply to my concern was bizarre to me and your explanation wasn't enough to assuage me. Please don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're right about his skills and that he just isn't as good with his communication but if things felt that awkward for me just when I was trying to find out about his hublocks, what were they going to be like after the sale if I needed any help or information? That's what had me concerned.

Please don't call me disingenuous or at least say something to me privately. Were you feeling defensive about Jack and got mad and needed to tell me right away? All we've got at Care Cure is our reputations, if you say that about me publicly, how can you ask me not to respond at all? Better to say that privately or not at all because that's a heck of a thing to say to someone. Maybe my thinking wasn't straight or I got something wrong but I am not a dishonest person. I don't live that way.

Sorry if I really got you mad, give me the benefit of the doubt. It's what you wanted me to give Jack. Can I have it too, before you get upset?

stephen an i discussed surelocks a few years back. i contacted jack and he was kind of an asshole, he actually knocked d's as being a copycat product. running your mouth about competitors isnt a good marketing strategy. i'll never run them, i just got a bad vibe from the guy. i'll stay with steve and d's, he treats me great and his produyct is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Stephen, I appreciate all the help you gave me and don't know how I'm being disingenuous. From your post it seems I upset you saying what I did about talking with Jack. I have very little experience with him, just an email and a phonecall and both were confusing to me. It seemed like he stiffened up when I asked him about pricing. Just told me the price and stopped talking. So I was having a problem with confidence in him and the price was much higher than D's Locks. We talked and I think the quality may really be something to see but in the end the money decided me and my concern about working with Jack. His reply to my concern was bizarre to me and your explanation wasn't enough to assuage me. Please don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're right about his skills and that he just isn't as good with his communication but if things felt that awkward for me just when I was trying to find out about his hublocks, what were they going to be like after the sale if I needed any help or information? That's what had me concerned.

Please don't call me disingenuous or at least say something to me privately. Were you feeling defensive about Jack and got mad and needed to tell me right away? All we've got at Care Cure is our reputations, if you say that about me publicly, how can you ask me not to respond at all? Better to say that privately or not at all because that's a heck of a thing to say to someone. Maybe my thinking wasn't straight or I got something wrong but I am not a dishonest person. I don't live that way.

Sorry if I really got you mad, give me the benefit of the doubt. It's what you wanted me to give Jack. Can I have it too, before you get upset?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I run D's, and have on 2 chairs. I like Steve, personally. His work ethic is impressive.

I've decided to try Surelocks on my next scoot. Having had both products in my hand, I think SL has a very slight edge on materials, performance, design, and fit/finish.

That's also reflected in their higher retail pricing.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I run D's, and have on 2 chairs. I like Steve, personally. His work ethic is impressive.

I've decided to try Surelocks on my next scoot. Having had both products in my hand, I think SL has a very slight edge on materials, performance, design, and fit/finish.

That's also reflected in their higher retail pricing.
    A slight edge for double the price...not to say they're not worth the money, but I can understand Grommet's decision. For that kind of markup I'd want to be confident in the product and the company.

Quote Originally Posted by taziar View Post
    they're not worth the money, but I can understand Grommet's decision. .
    Imo any of that kind of wheels looks worth the money, D`s, surelock and ADI.

Quote Originally Posted by taziar View Post
    A slight edge for double the price...not to say they're not worth the money, but I can understand Grommet's decision. For that kind of markup I'd want to be confident in the product and the company.

I have full confidence in both companies and products.

But, I understand g's decision, too.

What SL has done to secure my confidence is in part a reaction to direct user feedback, and their continued evolution of the product, recently.

They're all great to have as options!!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    They're all great to have as options!!
    Amen to that! Innovation and competition, always good for the end users.

i just love the fact that i have no more brake slippage. i cant tell you how many times i fell over the years getting out of the car with slippy brakes. if your a quad, i do recommend a heavier spring on the car side.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer