Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just installed D's Locks

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid newbie question, but can anyone tell me the significant pro's/con's between D's locks and ADI Disc Brakes (Variable Lever).

I'm definitely missing some important information about this. We are looking for a braking system that can be used by one hand, and is variable depending on the grade. The clunkiness of the D's locks already has me concerned, not to mention how hard they might be to install.
    D's (and SureLocks) are LOCKS not brakes. To my knowledge, ADI has the only true wheelchair brakes on the market. With locks, you can either move (unlocked) or not move (locked). With brakes, you can slow down while moving.

IMHO (i.e., amateur) the ADI variable-lever system is perfect for hemiparesis because it can slow both wheels with one hand. ADI's will have to be carefully and periodically adjusted so the brakes apply equally to both wheels, but from what I've read here on CCC by ADI brake owners, adjusting is simple. Maybe one of them will chime in.

Installing ADI brakes is much more involved than installing hub brakes. With ADI's, a special piece must be press fit into each wheel; press fitting requires very special tools.

Attachment 45777
    Last edited by chasmengr; 07-20-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: add picture
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    . . . and your handle is backwards, you want it to rotate in when locked so not sticking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    . . . I don't know what you mean about the handle. I want the handle to disappear when the wheels are unlocked and sticking out when the wheels are locked.
    Handle positioning is really personal preference. Mine is on the backrest's crossbar. The handle's flexible positioning is one thing I love about hub locks

Attachment 45776
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Where can I get springs for my locks? Mine don't lock anymore... A heavier spring would be great. Do anyone know the size and weight of the spring?

Quote Originally Posted by ckhouri View Post
    Where can I get springs for my locks? Mine don't lock anymore... A heavier spring would be great. Do anyone know the size and weight of the spring?
    I'd just ask Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Handle positioning is really personal preference. Mine is on the backrest's crossbar. The handle's flexible positioning is one thing I love about hub locks

Attachment 45776
    You don't tweak your shoulder reaching around to get to that?

I'm always fooling around with the location of the lever, but wherever it is, I like the unlocked position to be flush with the tube, and locked to be sticking out. Makes it easier to point out to other people where it is that way.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    We (Steve and I) tried putting the block on the inside and the piston/barrel couldn't reach far enough, that's why we went with the blocks for a Quickie XTR. Fits great. I don't know what you mean about the handle. I want the handle to disappear when the wheels are unlocked and sticking out when the wheels are locked.

btw your icon is not nice for me to look at
    wow, how wide is your chair.

the icon will grow on you, or not. me likes.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

mcmaster carr
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Are you sure the cylinders and cables don't just need to cleaned and lubed?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    You don't tweak your shoulder reaching around to get to that?
    Since that pic was taken, I've moved it a bit more outboard, but no I don't tweak my shoulder reaching for it; basically I just rotate my elbow.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Since that pic was taken, I've moved it a bit more outboard, but no I don't tweak my shoulder reaching for it; basically I just rotate my elbow.
    Very cool!