Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just installed D's Locks

I've already been really pleased with my D's. In the kitchen alone it seem worth getting them. I make my breakfast on a tray that sits on a cutting board that slides out and I roll underneath. My floor is slanted and I spend all that time rolling backwards. Flip the lever and instantly I was motionless. Very sweet. At the gym today I went to get paper towels from the dispenser and normally I roll backwards after I pull each one down. Flip the lever, problem sovled. Love it.

One problem, and I will figure it out somehow is that I am getting a rattle on the left side. The piston is shaking against the cylinder as I go down the sidewalk. My chair is usually very quiet so this is something I'll have to fix. Left a message for Steve and maybe he has some idea. It's quiet on the right. Btw it is definitely the piston, everything else is tight and I used threadlock. I'm not so worried now about the flex, I took a good look and it's definitely the Spinergy spokes that are moving. Nothing Steve could do about that. I love my Spinergy's so I'm sticking with them and whatever movement comes with having them. Maybe some day I'll find another wheel I like but for now this is my set up.

In case anyone notices in the pics (sorry they're so big) I polished the parts, get a little bling on my chair :-)

As for what Tooley said, I do have trouble installing and building things. I've got brain damage and that's how it goes for me. My friends know my limitations and are really good at making little accomodations. My friend John is a saint, he'll answer the same question 6 times in a row and act like I never asked it before. He also didn't make a big deal when I completely forgot who a mutual friend was. I had no idea who this person was, then brain kicked in and it came back. It happens. :-)

I'd never seen the TR bracket, before. What I posted earlier can't apply to that design. I assumed it was the same bracket I've seen on others, like chas's ZRA, and that I have for my GT. It clamps right onto the camber tube.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I have that same bracket, Steve sent it to me with the order. I didn't have enough room at the end of my axle tube (damn, would have been ideal). Also he said after he looked at pictures of my TR set up that I'd need different clamps. He gave me some that he says he uses on Quickie XTR's. They worked perfect. The aluminum is so lightweight I'm hoping I don't notice the difference. First time I break her down and get her in the car, I'll find out.

im confused. why that big ass block. my clamp is on the inside, the one in dales pic. you remove the entire camber tube to assemble. and your handle is backwartds, you want it to rotate in when locked so not sticking out.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I'd never seen the TR bracket, before. What I posted earlier can't apply to that design. I assumed it was the same bracket I've seen on others, like chas's ZRA, and that I have for my GT. It clamps right onto the camber tube.

thats the one on my tr2 dale.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Anyhow, the reason I am posting is that there is a lot of play. I had heard there would be some especially because of the Spinergy's but I did not think it would be this much. It's 3/4 of an inch. I wanted the locks for all sorts of situations but most on my mind was for riding the bus. I think I'm going to be rocking back and forth like crazy. Don't know how I'm going to like that.
    I don't know if I'm just lucky, but I have D's Locks on a TE Terminator with high flange Sun wheels, and when the piston is engaged, the chair barely moves in either direction. I had assumed when people were talking about play that they were talking about what happens if the piston hits between the holes and you have to move a little forward or back so that it engages.

What you have to watch out for on a bus is tipping over forwards or backwards (depending on the direction you're facing) precisely because the chair is so stationary with the locks engaged.

One problem, and I will figure it out somehow is that I am getting a rattle on the left side. The piston is shaking against the cylinder as I go down the sidewalk.
    One regular maintenance item is checking that the cable end of the piston housing is completely screwed in. It works its way loose over time.

I have that same bracket, Steve sent it to me with the order. I didn't have enough room at the end of my axle tube (damn, would have been ideal). Also he said after he looked at pictures of my TR set up that I'd need different clamps. He gave me some that he says he uses on Quickie XTR's. They worked perfect. The aluminum is so lightweight I'm hoping I don't notice the difference. First time I break her down and get her in the car, I'll find out.
    I understand. Makes sense. It's so nice to have someone like Steve participating in the mobility industry. His depth of knowledge and willingness to share it and use it to help make rolling around in these contraptions a better experience deserves lots of recognition, and appreciation.

Most of the wiggle is in your rims, IMO, with properly setup pistons, which yours appear to be. I notice a big difference between steel vs composite spoked rims on my chairs.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Maybe this is a stupid newbie question, but can anyone tell me the significant pro's/con's between D's locks and ADI Disc Brakes (Variable Lever).

I'm definitely missing some important information about this. We are looking for a braking system that can be used by one hand, and is variable depending on the grade. The clunkiness of the D's locks already has me concerned, not to mention how hard they might be to install.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    im confused. why that big ass block. my clamp is on the inside, the one in dales pic. you remove the entire camber tube to assemble. and your handle is backwartds, you want it to rotate in when locked so not sticking out.
    We (Steve and I) tried putting the block on the inside and the piston/barrel couldn't reach far enough, that's why we went with the blocks for a Quickie XTR. Fits great. I don't know what you mean about the handle. I want the handle to disappear when the wheels are unlocked and sticking out when the wheels are locked.

btw your icon is not nice for me to look at

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid newbie question, but can anyone tell me the significant pro's/con's between D's locks and ADI Disc Brakes (Variable Lever).

I'm definitely missing some important information about this. We are looking for a braking system that can be used by one hand, and is variable depending on the grade. The clunkiness of the D's locks already has me concerned, not to mention how hard they might be to install.
    Search for threads that compare D's Locks and Surelocks, there are a few. I had a hard time installing them but that doesn't mean everyone would. I find lot's of things difficult. Girlfriend helped teach me how to ride the bus.

I went with D's Locks because they are half the price but I also I contacted both and the fellow at Surelocks, well, he didn't inspire confidence in me. Since I hadn't used hub locks before I asked him (Jack at Surelock) what about the locks coming on accidentally and I swear his reply was, "You don't want to do that." I thought, okay, great.

Everyone isn't going to agree on equipment, it's about what works for you. Talk about what's best doesn't make sense to me. If what you have works for you then it is the right thing. Check things out, talk to people, make up your own mind. Personally I'm getting a little tired of people telling me I've made the wrong choice no matter what I choose. But as my GF pointed out, I am posting on the internet and people can comment.

I wouldn't ride on a pair of Glance wheels unless I had no other choice. Some people save up to buy them. I love my Spinergy's, some folks are crazy about Round Betty. It's all high end equipment at this point, I don't think any of it is bad. Make it work for you :-)