Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbow Pain / Treatment

Elbow Pain / Treatment

I have recently started experiencing pain in my right elbow. It feels as if it's bruised but it's not. In other words, it's tender to the touch in a few places. Also, when I squeeze anything with my hand (which is impossible not to do with us obviously) I feel a sharp pain in my forearm muscle. Or, if I lift anything of weight I experience pain in both (elbow and forearm).

I'm guessing I may have developed tendonitis. What have some of you all done to treat this? A simple elbow brace? As active as I am simply resting it other than when I'm sleeping is not possible.
    Last edited by ResonantEcho; 07-19-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Quote Originally Posted by ResonantEcho View Post
    I have recently started experiencing pain in my right elbow. It feels as if it's bruised but it's not. In other words, it's tender to the touch in a few places. Also, when I squeeze anything with my hand (which is impossible not to do with us obviously) I feel a sharp pain in my forearm muscle. Or, if I lift anything of weight I experience pain in both (elbow and forearm).

I'm guess I may have developed tendonitis. What have some of you all done to treat this? A simple elbow brace? As active as I am simply resting it other than when I'm sleeping is not possible.
    You may have Golfer's Elbow (aka medial epicondylitis). I have a history of this as well. It first developed in my left elbow about 5 years ago and after many months it resolved. Contrary to the advice of an orthopedist I saw at the time to rest the elbow (to the extent possible) and stop working out at the gym, it turned out that the best treatment was returning to the gym. Coincidence? I don't know.

Presently I have the identical condition but now on my right elbow (I'm right handed), which was extremely tender to the touch and painful when flexing my arm against resistance (forcing me to drop out of the professional arm wrestling circuit). I received an injection of kenalog (a steroid) back in December and the symptoms disappeared entirely but have since returned. Now I am treating it by using a garden variety spring loaded hand gripper exerciser to strengthen the flexor group tendon attachment at the elbow and the pain has improved at least by 50%. I'm expecting it will resolve entirely with more time and exercise.

Many people also claim to have gotten relief by using this forearm band, which alters the vectors of muscular action around the elbow.

Check out this clip which features a product called the FlexTend. I have this as well, but my best result seems to be coming from the hand gripper. Take note of the stretching exercises, they're a very important component to treatment.

Finally, here's a website with dozens of testimonials about treating golfer's elbow. None specifically recommend using the hand gripper -- that suggestion came to me from a friend who's a physical therapist.
    Last edited by stephen212; 07-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.

i have triceps insertion tendonitis and nothing has really helped. exercise has been ok but once it flares i am just in agony until it decides to stop. was eating advil like candy!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Unfortunately I think the only way to reverse this is to start voting Democrat. You're screwed.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    Unfortunately I think the only way to reverse this is to start voting Democrat. You're screwed.
    I won't consider voting Democrat this November so I guess I'll be screwed for at least another 4 years if this doesn't decide to heal.

Thanks, stephen212. Very good information. I'll give some of this a try and see if it helps.

First the disclaimer. I don't believe in crystals, pyramind power or magnets. I tried, kenisio tape on my shoulder, back of my hand and my wrist. Didn't believ it would work. All with tendonitis for 10+ years. It worked, I don't know or want to know why. (we figure it has depleted uranium in the glue). I put it on my 89 year old mom's elbow that has bothered her for 20 years. Hour later I ask how her elbow was, she said she is going to kick some doctors asses, cause they should know this. Try it, its cheap and won't hurt ya. Comes in colors too, so at least ya look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    First the disclaimer. I don't believe in crystals, pyramind power or magnets. I tried, kenisio tape on my shoulder, back of my hand and my wrist. Didn't believ it would work. All with tendonitis for 10+ years. It worked, I don't know or want to know why. (we figure it has depleted uranium in the glue). I put it on my 89 year old mom's elbow that has bothered her for 20 years. Hour later I ask how her elbow was, she said she is going to kick some doctors asses, cause they should know this. Try it, its cheap and won't hurt ya. Comes in colors too, so at least ya look cool.
    Good to hear. I never knew what that tape was called.

http://www.kinesiotaping.com/

Guessing can be hazardous. That's what the docs in the ER did when I had a very painful elbow. Eyeballing it they concluded it was bursitis and gave me some anti-inflammatory meds. Two months later I still had the pain and after pleading with my primary care doc he ordered an x-ray. It turned out that I had a fracture. It probably happened when I slipped reaching across my desk.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries
    My doc is the UMass sports doc, and he recommends ice twice a day and increased fluids. He said that Arnica cream helps him with tennis elbow.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury