Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parenting skills and SCI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Parenting skills and SCI

i was wondering how some of you parent your kids while being chair bound my 12 year old daughter whom i love dearly has just recieved her exam results, although she did well results where just above average. she can do much better.
    i do believe she is spending too much time on facebook.
    Recently she had used the F word towards me. it incensed me only at the age of 18 had i ever done this the belt was always handy then. i too still believe in corporal punishment when all else fails but girls are different.
    Recently she has been answering back and wants to to go out with friends 7 to 8 pm is my curfew. we have booked many activities for her to chill out during summer recess, her friends come from very decent families but those street kids
    hanging around in public places i don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    i was wondering how some of you parent your kids while being chair bound my 12 year old daughter whom i love dearly has just recieved her exam results, although she did well results where just above average. she can do much better.
    i do believe she is spending too much time on facebook.
    Recently she had used the F word towards me. it incensed me only at the age of 18 had i ever done this the belt was always handy then. i too still believe in corporal punishment when all else fails but girls are different.
    Recently she has been answering back and wants to to go out with friends 7 to 8 pm is my curfew. we have booked many activities for her to chill out during summer recess, her friends come from very decent families but those street kids
    hanging around in public places i don't like.
    She is 12, she sounds very normal for me. Of course, if she does something you don't like, talk to her and tell her why. Pick your fights, some things are more important than others.

And I live in a country when corporal punishment is forbidden. And if somebody do that the system take your child and put it in fostercare. And it is not necessary at all to spank or hit. Only by talking to you child, you can make them do what you want. When I grew up, I got enough spanking, I don't think it made me a better person than my friends who was never spanked.
    TH 12, 43 years post

i don't live in a jungle Bente,
    i think you may have got me wrong on the post.
    maybe i should widen the discussion we all want our kids to be better than us.
    As to a formal education i think we will get there both my wife and i are teachers.
    if we can help other people's children to succeed hopefully the same goes for ours.
    however i am concerned about soft skills not taught in formal education. she is an only child while My Own SCI and associated problems have effected us all.anyway i would like to expose here to abilities such as decision making, good communication, leader ship and team skills even at this early age.Till now i have found the scout movement a very good venue for her. In industry i was described as an excellent worker, excellent in motivation and quality however my people skills where not so good. i often wondered how some managers could do things so easily while when i do and say the same thing all hell would break loose.
    i think good parenting in nurturing our children into successful adults must be holistic.
    Last edited by peterf; 07-19-2012 at 07:47 AM.

No, I don't think you live in a jungle, you are living in Valetta I have two big children who are both successful, one with a master in teaching and one who is taking her master now in nursing and they are both very independent. I think the best way of bringing up children is to be a good example for them and talk and talk and talk and let them take some decisions themself.

And like T8burst I believe in rewarding them for the good things they do. But I am not their boss so I believe in negotiating too. I think it is importent that they feel they are making some decisions themself and it is your job to make them do the right ones.
    TH 12, 43 years post

You control the money in the house, and the use of the computer. She does what you want, she gets to use the computer and money to buy things like music, clothes. She doesn't, she loses her cell phone, can't use the computer, doesn't get money. Kids are like dogs, reward them for being good punish them for being bad. You never get mad or yell, and never negotiate. You just tell this this is what you did, this is the result.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Kids are like dogs.
    you're a fucking mensch, guy.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    you're a fucking mensch, guy.
    does that word have to be placed prior each and every comma.

mensch?
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    mensch?
    lol!!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Fortunately you are not the final arbiter of acceptable behavior and language.