Thread: Truck door opener

Truck door opener

We have all seen the standard electric or air actuators that open and shut truck doors. With those ways they are the only way to open the door. A guy here in Texas designed a setup where there is a small electric clutch that rolls up a strap connected from the door to the truck. It works great and no noise at all. On the bottom of the cab a little rod comes out and it pushes the door open. With this setup the door still works as normal or can use the remote or a combination. Its the best setup I have seen.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Neat.

But why does he need a motor to open/close it? Looks to be no other modification aside from hand controls. If he can transfer up & in, can he not open/close the door?

That is interesting. There's enough torque in the motor to engage the latch when the door completely closes? Or did he change the OEM latch for something different as well? I'm guessing he changed the latch for something electrically operated so it unlocks the door prior to the rod pushing it open.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Neat.

But why does he need a motor to open/close it? Looks to be no other modification aside from hand controls. If he can transfer up & in, can he not open/close the door?
    He is an incomplete quad and uses one of those little lift seats to get him up to the truck seat and slides over. The wheelchair lift is in the truck bed.

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    That is interesting. There's enough torque in the motor to engage the latch when the door completely closes? Or did he change the OEM latch for something different as well? I'm guessing he changed the latch for something electrically operated so it unlocks the door prior to the rod pushing it open.
    Everything was pretty busy so didn't get a chance to examine the latch system. Logic tells me that since the door handle works like stock he may open the door and then use the rod to push it all the way open. Then the strap may bring the door back almost shut and he closes it himself. BUT, I am almost certain that the setup he was using did the entire job but I may be wrong. It even looked like the stock remote.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Talked to the owner of the truck today. Yes, it does completely open and close entirely on its own. The is another small remote that opens and closes the door. So it does open the door latch and closes the latch. Plus, like I mentioned, the door still functions like stock so anybody can walk up to it and open and close it like normal. Its a great design.
    Pete C6/'97

Do you know if the guy who designed this is selling them? How much are they? Does he have a website? I might be interested in a set for my 07 Suburban. Thanks

No, he custom installs them himself here in Texas. Just a small outfit.
    Pete C6/'97

Okay. Thanks!