Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paralyzed Woman on The Biggest Loser!!!??

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    the fact is...this issue is much more than that and not as simple steven..it is psychological..and a tough one to overcome..and maybe she needs this show for the MENTAL push and support and counseling they provide contestants. I hope she wins..but it did feel a little exploitive..but hey--that is tv..she knows they want to exploit and dramatize our injuries so she is playing into it to get the role. We gimps will be all over the tube soon lol!
    lol

she definitely needs a support system (ahem, husband) and friends/family. turn it into a game with her kids.

i am currently trying to lose weight, but identifying what the issue was (eating out/ordering in especially on high pain days) and have really cut back and have lost 3 pant sizes. a simple change can make a big difference!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    lol

she definitely needs a support system (ahem, husband) and friends/family. turn it into a game with her kids.

i am currently trying to lose weight, but identifying what the issue was (eating out/ordering in especially on high pain days) and have really cut back and have lost 3 pant sizes. a simple change can make a big difference!
    yes, but she and all biggest loser contestants have far deeper issues than a few simple changes will make better..it is deep trouble and pain that allows someone to gain that much weight...it is self destruction and needs real counseling..like any addiction really. But they can't fully abstain now can they? Must make it tricky.

Congrats on the weight loss though! I just ate rice pasta and salmon in a chinese mayo/tomatoe sauce..talk about high fat and carbs! Plus added a boat load of salt and I am already swollen..;///
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Wow, if she applied half of the initiative involved in putting together this high-production-value video audition into researching the rather simple methods necessary to losing weight -- eating less, cutting out the junk food -- she'd already be at her ideal weight. But then she wouldn't get to be on TV (snore) and exploit her disability. Stevie doesn't approve.
    A video like this can easily be churned out in a weekend. Loosing weight at this caliber will take a lot longer & requires a change in lifestyle. I get what you're saying (and generally agree), but heck, more power to her if media exposure is what it takes to get her into gear.

That said, she over-does the "I'm an inspiration" thing. I couldn't get through the entire video. There's no way I could get through a whole season of it.

yes, but she and all biggest loser contestants have far deeper issues than a few simple changes will make better..it is deep trouble and pain that allows someone to gain that much weight...it is self destruction and needs real counseling..like any addiction really. But they can't fully abstain now can they? Must make it tricky.

Congrats on the weight loss though! I just ate rice pasta and salmon in a chinese mayo/tomatoe sauce..talk about high fat and carbs! Plus added a boat load of salt and I am already swollen..;///
    omg that sounds so gross LOL i looove salt. my drs say i need to eat more of it. but salmon is oh so tasty!!

i know what you mean, hence why i said the support system really needs to be there 100% kids can be a great motivator for change!

the fact is...this issue is much more than that and not as simple steven/cryptic..it is psychological..and a tough one to overcome..and maybe she needs this show for the MENTAL push and support and counseling they provide contestants. I hope she wins..but it did feel a little exploitive..but hey--that is tv..she knows they want to exploit and dramatize our injuries so she is playing into it to get the role. We gimps will be all over the tube soon lol!
    Agreed
    and would add the idea of the show is to work out all your muscles and lose weight, I can only use my arms, so how could I lose any fat in my belly????
    but hope she does get the support she needs from the show
    bruce
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I hope she makes it so I can get some workout tips from the show. I just don't see how she can lose weight at the same pace as a walking person which creates an unfairness to her being the only one in a wheelchair, and voted off quicker. I hope she can do it but it seems that the pace at which we lose weight as wheelers will hinder her. I'm still rooting for her!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

That was a fantastic video! And she has great camera presence and she's pretty. If they don't have her on the show, those guys don't know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    Agreed
    and would add the idea of the show is to work out all your muscles and lose weight, I can only use my arms, so how could I lose any fat in my belly????
    but hope she does get the support she needs from the show
    bruce
    this is a myth. your body knows where fat is stored. it doesnt work in some sort of localized place like "oh well no fat on my arms so i cant do anything"

you lose belly fat by working out (cardio and strength training) and eating in a way to help stabilize your blood sugars/help your metabolism.

also where your body stores fat and which places will be easier to lose weight from is genetic. there are people who work out their legs and dont get the kind of definition due to genetics. same with arm definition. not everyone is gonna have arms like michelle obama. belly fat however, is a place for excess storage due to dietary habits.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I hope she makes it so I can get some workout tips from the show. I just don't see how she can lose weight at the same pace as a walking person which creates an unfairness to her being the only one in a wheelchair, and voted off quicker. I hope she can do it but it seems that the pace at which we lose weight as wheelers will hinder her. I'm still rooting for her!
    good point..but they say...you know, those expensive studies that state the obvious...that we burn more calories pushing our chair than walking same distance..could be VERY interesting!

and yeah Scott..agreed on "inspiration" thing...damn most of us have tried darn hard NOT to be called that...in life. Just be use, but..in wheelchair. Would be great for once..or more often, to see THAT portrayed on tv. I mean aren't most people all ready over the inspiration stuff by now...guess not..
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    +2

She's a grade six teacher (I assume that's full-time work?) and the mother of 3 children as well as a wife. I didn't see any housekeepers around. Exactly when is she supposed to fit her exercise into that schedule?
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, you can do it through diet alone.