Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help supra pubic cath! NOW

Help supra pubic cath! NOW

hubbies supra pubic cath came out some time not sur when, balloon still blew up so nothing is left inside. I can get cath thru the skin opening but its not wanting to go all the way into bladder....
    do I keep pushing or give up and go to er

Even a old SP stoma can close up very quickly, which is why our policy is for the new catheter to be inserted within 2 minutes of the old catheter removal.

I am afraid you are going to have to go to the ER. They will probably have to bring in a urologist to get a new SP catheter placed. If he still has an intact urethra, you can cath him that way until you get the SP replaced.

(KLD)

I got it to go it. I was in dire panics. Not sure how long it was out but he was soaked, dried blood on his leg and around the opening. I was afraid to push too hard but I just kept twirling it and lightly pushing and it finally went in. There was alot a blood from the initial insertion time but it cleared up within seconds. I will keep an eye on it today and make sure there is no more blood.
    Now to clean up the mess, urine all over the place, yuck!

Oh no! I hope that everything goes alright. I would keep a really close eye on things. I've feared getting mine yanked out, especially when my kids were really little and would shower with me.

If it got pulled out with the balloon still inflated, I would think that it would have made a big exit hole. So I am surprised that you were able to get one to stay in, but I'm very thankful to hear that it seems to have worked! Going to an ER is never fun, and even less so on a weekend, but don't hesitate if it comes out again.

I'm going to PM you about something.

Can only imagine your panic and anguish over this. Glad things worked out. Keep a close eye on things this weekend. I would call on Monday to get an appointment to see the urologist. When out of the ordinary things like this happen, I always rest better when the doctor or PA can confirm that things are okay.

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

Thanks gals, everything seems to be ok. I got up this morning and he looked so peaceful I just let him sleep. When he awoke he hollared for me and I went to his side of the bed only to see the inflated cathetor laying on the floor still blown up and urine from the overnight back draining all over the floor. I jerked those covers off only to find his depends was soaked and dried blood on his leg where it had ran down from the stoma. Immediately ran to get everything needed to take care of it and it was a little trouble getting it back thru the stoma but got that and then the bladder itself gave me a bit more trouble than I cared to deal with but after I finally calmed down a tad bit I got it in. I was just so nervous after hearing all of the horror stories on here. Really appreciate all of the concern though.

Reinsertion...

With the balloon still inflated, wasn't it painful to reinsert?

Just wondering...

PEACE, the peach

Oh no I didn't reinsert the one that came out. It was laying on the floor completely unsterile. I inserted a new one altogether. So sorry for the confusion.

We have had the same problem, it didn't come out inflated, but I have had trouble inserting a new one. One we had to go to the ER, one to the doctor's office and it was just hell. A few times I've had terrible trouble and its taken an HOUR to get in. Every single time its been hard to get in its been while he has an active UTI. Ever since, I only change the SP in the early AM when we can go to the doctor's office in case something goes wrong (SO much cheaper than an ER visit) and when he does not have an active ER. I totally emphasize with the panic.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Thanks Ami. Now that I've had time to calm down and think about it, there must have been a small hole or something cause the balloon was still inflated but no way was it inflated with 7cc's. Everything is still looking good. I will go ahead and call urology on Monday and let them know what happened and see if they think he should be looked at. I'm thinking it has to be ok now but maybe an antibiotic wouldn't hurt cause I really didn't take the time to make it the best sterile cath change possible I hate to say. Really I just totally freaked out and rushed around like a chicken with my head cut off.