Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toot Toot..PhotoAbility.net story on Association for Disabled Americans

Im a Rusk alumni as well 7/70-2/71. Back then it was the preeminent rehab ctr is US. They had a big Xmas party each year emceed by Ed Sullivan w guests like Steve Lawrence and Edie Gormet, etc. A few years before I got there several patients w a suicide pact jumped off that roof. A friend recently told me Rusk would soon be torn down I think to be replaced by a larger medical complex..

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Im a Rusk alumni as well 7/70-2/71. Back then it was the preeminent rehab ctr is US. They had a big Xmas party each year emceed by Ed Sullivan w guests like Steve Lawrence and Edie Gormet, etc. A few years before I got there several patients w a suicide pact jumped off that roof. A friend recently told me Rusk would soon be torn down I think to be replaced by a larger medical complex..
    Jumped or rolled off the roof?

Great article!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Not to take from your original post but I had a great rehab experience too. First or fourth floor?

We had happy hour every Friday in the "boys" room. Pt's, Ot's and a Dr or two.

The Rec therapist with the hairdo from a horror movie...
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

That is great photo of you and your mother SRSR, though you look a little sad. You look just like your beautiful mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Not to take from your original post but I had a great rehab experience too. First or fourth floor?

We had happy hour every Friday in the "boys" room. Pt's, Ot's and a Dr or two.

The Rec therapist with the hairdo from a horror movie...

No not at all..I love to have someone who went there to share with! We had a boys room across the hall. We had 4 to a room. I think it was the second floor but I can't remember and either can my Mother! Def not 1st floor as that was where we had the food shop where we ordered milk shakes at night! I got very close to one girls family who adopted me and took me out to eat with them and brought me presents as my family was out of State.

There was this really cute guy down the hall too..he was injured in a corvette wreck...a para..but I can;t remember his name either. Would love to re-connect.

I was there in summer months..and watched the Macy's fireworks from that roof top. I pretty much left there and was shipped off to Florida for college with a few months in between in MD. Jumped right in!..albiet forcibly by my Dad. I owe him a lot for that. I was forced to push and be independant and move on...which I did.

PS there was a big photo of me in the lobby on the wall..wearing the same pink sweatsuit!

Sorry for all the reminiscing..sigh...kinda got carried away--this is a sign of my age I suppose

PS Ancientgimp..geez I am glad I never knew that ( Pretty sure there were barriers to prevent that by the time I got there. @ Rusk Alum! Wow who knew.
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 07-20-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    That is great photo of you and your mother SRSR, though you look a little sad. You look just like your beautiful mother.
    I had my days..but I also had days where I was just the old me..for example I also have a happy pic of me in my white teds with my leg up and sunning in a tank top on that roof lol! Then there were the times, I was not so sad coming in kinda tipsey and trying to transfer into bed late at night after being out with resident I kept moving forward..which served me well I suppose.
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 07-20-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda