Thread: The Quickie P222SE--Still a Classic Muscle Chair

The Quickie P222SE--Still a Classic Muscle Chair

Five years ago I posted this thread about the Quickie P222SE. I called it an "older model" back then, so it must be obsolete by now. Right? Wrong! There is still nothing else quite like it. Light. Fast. Full suspension. Fun!

What's a "muscle chair" without a little customization? Let's call this one a "Commemorative Edition". It is even painted in a retro orange reminiscent of some of the classic 1960's muscle cars...

The standard nylon back upholstery was replaced with a Ride Designs Corbac. Those who are familiar with the P222SE will also notice that the Quickie Qtronix controller has been replaced with the P&G Pilot+ controller...

I have always found the one piece flip up composite footrest with the 8o degree tapered fixed front frame to be less-than ideal. It was replaced with an adjustable angle rigid frame footrest and clamp designed for the Quickie GT...

The extension tubes and Aeromesh calf strap are from Bodypoint. Those extension tubes are splined and do not flip up once they have been tightened down. This strengthens the front frame considerably.

I can actually stand on the footrest and it has absolutely no give.

They say Sunrise has wanted to discontinue the P222SE for years now. Let's hope demand remains strong enough so that they have no choice but to continue producing it. There really is nothing else quite like it in the market.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 07-18-2012 at 08:02 PM.

I could not agree more!!!! Most servicable, simple elegant design, and toughly built chair! Instead of trying to kill this most excellantly thought out design, they should update it and make the updated tilt with lower STF! And MENTION the fact this disassembles completely-heck show it on the website!! Lastly, if the complex rehab bill gets resolved, perhaps all of the DME's wont be so constricted (funding) on much needed design improvements!

Best,
    engineermom2

nice chair. i become eligable for new power chair 9/12. i have had 2 bounderplus classics and will be trying for bounder h frame. i stay out doors and off road and have -never- sent a bounderplus to shop. like my electronics on back so i can go through puddles and the simple joy stick. my insurance gets great deals from invacare and sunrise. if something happens and the bounder is out the 222se will be my ride.

guestion - 222se direct drive? donnie

That is really nice. I never made it to the P222SE. I got one of the first P200's and rode the shit out of that thing. Geez the things I did with it. I had to give it up because the ride was too rough for me. Never tried the suspended P222SE, wonder what it feels like. When I finally went over to a suspension and tilt-in-space a lot of my pain improved but that custom P222SE looks really good. Thanks for the pics.

I agree. Had the original Quickie P-222. Best chair I ever had. It could traverse most any terrain a sane mind would dare take a wheelchair. (except sand) Even steep hills (paved or grass) it would tip back on wheelie wheels with zero danger of tipping.

My only complaint was the under seat suspension. It's a little flimsy and could not stand up to extracurricular activities (wink. wink)

Replaced it with a quickie 646-se a couple years ago. It is, comparatively, a piece of crap. I fear going up most sidewalk curb cuts. Armrests have broken. Low ground clearance.

I wanted another P222, but service provider said they are d/c'ed Two years later, Quickie still makes them.

Even though I have incurred significant expense installing EZ LOCK bracket, If the good folks at Sunrise read this and want to help make me happy, I would swallow the cost of installing another bracket to get back in another quality Sunrise Medical Quickie chair.

We ran parallel lives, but later. I went from the P200 to the S626. You were one generation ahead of me. I did take my P200 into mud, on gravel, dirt leaves branches and twigs, off curbs (eek!) in the rain, everything you can imagine and without suspension. Thing turned on a dime and was plenty fast. Big problem was motor noise. Couldn't really have a conversation with some one while moving. A couple years later Quickie, instead of solving the problem changed their brochure. They said it had "that high performance sound". That's right fellas, it's not night time, it's a sleeker version of the day. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Big problem was motor noise. Couldn't really have a conversation with some one while moving
    Which reminds me. In addition to the Pilot+ controller, the motors are now supplied by Linix. I could be wrong , but it did seem a bit quieter than previous P222's.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 07-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Five years ago I posted this thread about the Quickie P222SE. I called it an "older model" back then, so it must be obsolete by now. Right? Wrong! There is still nothing else quite like it. Light. Fast. Full suspension. Fun!

What's a "muscle chair" without a little customization? Let's call this one a "Commemorative Edition". It is even painted in a retro orange reminiscent of some of the classic 1960's muscle cars...

The standard nylon back upholstery was replaced with a Ride Designs Corbac. Those who are familiar with the P222SE will also notice that the Quickie Qtronix controller has been replaced with the P&G Pilot+ controller...

I have always found the one piece flip up composite footrest with the 8o degree tapered fixed front frame to be less-than ideal. It was replaced with an adjustable angle rigid frame footrest and clamp designed for the Quickie GT...

The extension tubes and Aeromesh calf strap are from Bodypoint. Those extension tubes are splined and do not flip up once they have been tightened down. This strengthens the front frame considerably.

I can actually stand on the footrest and it has absolutely no give.

They say Sunrise has wanted to discontinue the P222SE for years now. Let's hope demand remains strong enough so that they have no choice but to continue producing it. There really is nothing else quite like it in the market.
    This looks like a nice chair are they still making it? If so what is the base price? Thanks, M
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

I have 3 p222se's and 1 p220 and i will not part with any of them. i buy them when they come up reasonably priced locally on craigslist. the best part is i bought a dealer programer for the qtronix and can adjust the speeds and percentages to make it the beast it truly is .... another thing worth mentioning is that these are group 4 chairs and most insurances dont provide them. and medicare does not buy them. the discontinued p220 was a group 3 covered by insurance and the only difference was the 4 pole motors with 8.5mph on the p222-se compared to 2 pole motors with 6.5 mph ....

Thanks Guys!
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!