Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amitriptyline for AD pain.

Amitriptyline for AD pain.

i was just given Amitriptyline for my dislocated left hip that has been causing heavy sweating from AD. does anyone have any experience with this good or bad?
    thanks!

This tri-cyclic antidepressant drug is sometimes used for neuropathic pain, although rarely by itself. It may help with AD sweating (although not the other signs and symptoms) because of its anticholenergic (like Ditropan) side effects that can suppress sweating. Other drugs suppress sweating better than this one though.

If the goal is to control AD's dangerous high blood pressure, then a ganglionic blocker can be used (Minipress, dibenzyline, nifedipine, catapres, etc.) to keep the blood pressure down and other symptoms under control as the fracture heals, but this will also suppress any AD symptoms that may be protective (such as letting you know that you are incorrectly positioned, have a UTI, or a bowel impaction).

Have you been treated with standard pain medications such as NSAIDs or opioids without success?

(KLD)

My doctor put me on Lyrica first and it did nothing at all. My sweating is really bad when I urinate as well they think my dislocated hip is pushing on a nerve between my hip and bladder. What medication is best to stop the heavy sweating? That is the only symptom of AD I get?

I have tried many prescriptions for my pain. Amytriptylene is one of the best with low side effects. Plus it is very inexpensive. I have experienced better luck with this drug than any other. I have tried them all from Lyrica, Neurotin, Cymbalta and a few others. Really watch the side effects with these newer drugs. Topomax gave me strong pain in my teeth and gums. It will be a side effect that you would never think of. I wish you well.
    Best Regards,
    Joe

Thanks Joe! Ya I read some of the side effects and they sound scary. But hoping for the best and it to stop my heavy sweating.

I had some really bad side effects with Topomax. Amytriptylene has been the easiest for me to take. It tires me out for a good night sleep. I take two 75mg about seven to eight at night. A few hours before bedtime. If you like wine, add a glass and it really takes the pain away. I wish you well.
    Best Regards,
    Joe

sci nurse you mentioned other drugs suppress sweating better that this drug what are some others? i can ask my doctor about them.

Have you contacted any of the physiatrists at GF Strong?

no i haven't would they give me that info about what drugs to take?

Sweating heavy from AD

What can control or stop sweating best if my dislocated hip is causing heavy sweating?