Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gardening (carrying a water hose)

I hang the spray nozzle handle on my backrest rigidizer and pull hose around yard.

What do you guys think would be better...crappy powerchair or old scooter? Which could handle dragging stuff through grass better? Durability...ease of cobbled together repairs/generic spare parts? Pick me a winner

Something without those crappy gray skinny tires on most power chairs. Definitely not a mid-wheel drive chair. I've gotten one of those stuck in grass more times in one summer than I care to admit. Something with front or rear wheel drive would be best. The wider tires the better.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What do you guys think would be better...crappy powerchair or old scooter? Which could handle dragging stuff through grass better? Durability...ease of cobbled together repairs/generic spare parts? Pick me a winner
    Same question here! I have a small yard, but it is tough to maneuver w/ tools.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I'm in the process of turning a scooter into one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKW7C...ure=plpp_video
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

irrigation (of the yard, lol)

To the OP, I have several different methods going on in my yard.

My back deck used to be accessible only from the house, which involved going outside, turning on the hose, throwing it up on the deck, going back inside, out to the deck to water, then reverse it. My husband plumbed in an additional spigot up to the deck, so I have a hose up there to use. One of those slinky hoses, so it doesn't take up much space. Not sure it would be worth the trouble, unless you had someone who could do it for you, but similar to a buried lawn irrigation system, you could run a pipe to the edge of your yard, and put a spigot and hose there.

I cannot access the faucet on the front of the house at all, and we now have several hoses coming off it. One is a short piece that connects to a stretch of soaker hose that is semi permanently run around the foundation plantings along the back of the yard, it gets connected only when we need to water them.

On my front porch, at the top of the ramp I had a similar issue as with the back deck. We have a stretch of front hose that also runs up to the deck, Since I can't turn it on at the main faucet, it is on a timer, and comes on a few hours every day (to keep from leaving it on and under pressure all the time.) I keep the end of the hose off unless I need to water. Of course if I want to water at a different time, this doesn't work, lol. It is also connected to some soaker hoses hidden in the front plantings, that I also control from the top. It is on (ie available to turn on from the deck) from 4-7pm, which is when I was most likely to use it. I can have someone go turn on the faucet from the house at any time of course, and it will work too.

I use a slinky hose of the back faucet (which I can reach) usually when I need to drag it somewhere else to water

And then today, I just went and did some work where I had dragged a long hose the day before yesterday, but never finished, and it was still out there. That worked too. Thinking of running the hose more discretely and leaving it there all the time. Redneck irrigation system, I guess.

Best solution for your yard in my mind might be this- can you run a long hose almost out to where you need it, running it under bushes, or otherwise discretely out of the way? Have a shutoff nozzle on the end. Then take a shorter hose (one of those slinky ones works well for me) down when you need to water, hitch it up, and less hose to lug. You could leave it there until fall, then bring it in. (Altho the soaker hoses in my back and front plantings stay there year round, we just open the valves and drain them in the winter, and turn of the water at the house of course. It has been 5 years so far. I am sure we are shortening the usable "life" of the hoses, but whatever).
    Last edited by sjean423; 07-25-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

ps

Just re-read your post and realized that if you have an irrigation system, you already have some sort of pipe/hose providing water access .... could you have a valve for a short hose put into the irrigation system? Guessing you would have to be able to turn off the irrigation system as well (a connector with a shutoff when the hose opening gets put in) , if it is sprinklers, but it it is a soaker type, you could just use the hose at the same time. Depending on what sort of irrigation system, it may be a simply as putting a Y connector onto hose.

Last edited by sjean423; 07-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Anyone know of a good quad friendly nozzle?
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Braswellf5-- Like your avatar!! By rights I should be going to Knoxville this week for Nationals, but we got other things going on... aka tractor pulls on Fri/Sat night.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Yeah it was my favorite track.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97