Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening (carrying a water hose)

Gardening (carrying a water hose)

Hi,
    I recently planted some flowers and such in my flower bed, in pots, of course. My flower bed has a sprinkler system but it doesn't get in to the pots as well as it would for flowers planted on the ground. Today I drug the water hose down the side walk and driveway to water my pots of flowers, in this Texas heat. I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to easily manouver the water hose for such a long distance while using a wheelchair....(I'm sure my neighbors got a kick out of watching me do it today). My front yard is 1 acre and my house is longer, rather than deep, sort of ranch style, just to give you and idea of how long the side walk runs (seems like a mile when your dragging a water hose)...haha. Luckily the sprayer on the hose is great so it did a good job reaching in places that I was unwilling to drag it to. Any tips would be appreciated.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Gammon-String-...xp_grid_pt_2_0 tie it to the end of the hose, wheel to where you want to go, pull the hose to you.

I had one of those braided hoses, lasted about a year and when its full of water its still a pain. I scoot forward in the chair, drape the hose across and slide back against it.
    I also have a thing with a bunch of little spouts that can be aimed/bent in all directions. Its called a noodle head. About 12 bucks on amazon.

I put an S-hook (a big one) through my belt loop in the front and then wind enough of the coils of hose over my knees to get me where I'm going. I find the weight of the full or empty hose to be easier to be managed up on my lap than dragging it on the ground. I have a white house with a walkway right across from a small park that always has dust and leaves blown on it, and although absoloutely not eco-friendly, One of my favorite tasks is hosing everything off & watering when our tomatoes aren't taking over the entire yard.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I have a crappy old power chair that I use for yard work. I am so thankful for it so I dont have to put a hose in my mouth or push up some of these hills we have....
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I use a scooter for weed eating, pull behind spreader(made a hitch where an oxygen tank mount would go), car washing, trimming bushes, watering crap, and various other yard work. Heck, I even used it to tear down my old garden shed and drag all the crap up to a dumpster.

I like mine. I can pull a bag of mulch on my lap off my tailgatE and drive off. Cant do that in the manual. Of course I have been stuck in a hole before. That wasnt fun at all.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I like mine. I can pull a bag of mulch on my lap off my tailgatE and drive off. Cant do that in the manual. Of course I have been stuck in a hole before. That wasnt fun at all.
    I also do that, along with bags of fertilizer and other stuff.
    One can always find old power chairs or scooters cheap in local paper and garage sales

It is unusually dry here so I have been doing some watering. I just place the hose into the slot between the chair arm and frame then push away. It holds it very well in place!
    Andrew

Also use a powerchair outside. No way I'd be able to do half the stuff I do in a manual chair, in fact I spent an hour this morning watering stuff just dragging the hose along while I ran the joystick... so much easier!
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA