Thread: Thoughts on Project Walk?

Thoughts on Project Walk?

For anyone who has been to Project Walk, what are your thoughts? I recently started Project Walk Atlanta and am generally not impressed. None of their staff are PTs, they are just basically personal trainers with a bachelors or masters. They talk a lot of hype and IMO they play on the natural recoveries/gains that people get.

If nothing else, it's good exercise and it gets you out of your chair.

Before launching into my thoughts on PW (from a parent's perspective), what were your expectations before you went?
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

My son, c6/7 8 yrs post, went to PW Carlsbad for 2 years. He started about 4 months after his injury. PW never promised that they could get him walking again. However, they did promise that they would get him as strong as possible, they would improve his core, balance, and help rebuild his left tricep. They came thru on all the promises. He has great upper body strength, a solid core, and strong triceps. The trainers at PW CBad are the finest anywhere. They truly work their asses off for the clients. I can't speak for PW Atlanta, but if there were any place that could help a sci regain the ability to walk, I believe Project Walk is definitely that place. I wish you the best of luck!

i did pw franchise in spain 2y years post, and whilst did not have any recovery as such (am a t6 asia a, so had no expectation of any), i gained strength, balance, confidence and understanding of my body like never before.
    if you can afford it. do it.
    the earlier the better!

I think Carlsbad is much different than Atlanta. Atlanta is very new and has very little funds. Their "trainers" are nice but I think my PTs at Shepherd Center (rehab) were much more knowledgeable and would be great if they had PTs with this training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    My son, c6/7 8 yrs post, went to PW Carlsbad for 2 years. He started about 4 months after his injury. PW never promised that they could get him walking again. However, they did promise that they would get him as strong as possible, they would improve his core, balance, and help rebuild his left tricep. They came thru on all the promises. He has great upper body strength, a solid core, and strong triceps. The trainers at PW CBad are the finest anywhere. They truly work their asses off for the clients.
    This is the same experience we have had at Samaritans Walk in Ashland VA. The trainer there is phenomenal!

I went to Project Walk in Portland after getting traditional medical PT. The PT's didn't have much hope, enthusiasm or creative ideas to "push" me. The trainers at PW knew how to push me beyond what I would have ever pushed myself. They put in me in various positions which would demand certain muscles and helped me focus and take the time to send the messages to my muscles as they helped move my legs. Over time I "found" some of the previously paralyzed muscles and then began to build them. I know that I could have never gone through that stage by myself or with the traditionally trained PT's. They gave up the Portland location, but the trainers continued by starting their own specialized gym and continue to do the work. I am hoping that clinical studies will happen with this "exercise induced recovery" and that insurance companies will begin to cover them. I am continuing my exercise on my own and once a week with a trainer that I have trained. I am 9 yrs post and continuing to get stronger slowly.

Cool thoughts on project walk

Project Walk does what traditional therapists cant do and WONT do. Only those PT's whom have spent a portion of their career specializing on neuro-recovery will have the edge up on a Project Walk trainer and its tight even then. Project Walk uses therapeutic exercise, gait training and neuromusclar re-education techniques that require a trainer to understand in depth training concepts in exercise PT's don't get in their education unless they were a trainer of some type prior to getting licensed. As a team, PT's, trainers, a MD are a force to be messed with. But Project Walk doesnt hire PT's, only those PT's who want to get trained by Project Walk "trainers" so they can incorporate the methods into their own clinics. Everyone has different responses to recovery, hence its called recovery, not "therapy" by Project Walk. I'd encourage you to follow your heart, as it can be expensive just to come exercise at a Project Walk location and not feel your getting the value you want.

San Diego is lucky to have 3 places that offer great services to SCI patients. Each one has a different philosophy, different trained staff, and different equipment. No place is great for everyone. Many of my patients see me certain days and supplement with the other places. Some people see the other places and supplement with me. See all three places, learn their philosophy, and talk with current patients (get references). The three places are project walk, Awakenings health institute, and Med Rehab and Kinematics lab.

PMR DOC has a great idea to compare and contrast the locations.
    Tony Davenport, M.S.