Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: from Kenda Kontender to Marathon

Question from Kenda Kontender to Marathon

Please bear with me as I'm very new to this and do not have a SCI so I've been thrown to the wolves. (I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.)

I bought a used ZRa on Ebay and want to change out the Kenda Kontenders (they're in bad shape) and also go to spinergy LX's. I'm looking at them online and have a few questions:

1) When you order both Marathon Plus and Spinergys at the same time I would assume they arent already assembled, but the order form makes me question this.

2) What misc stuff thats not included do I need to complete my order and actually get me up and rolling? Rim tape? Tubes?

3) I want to use the natural fits I currently have. I assume there is no issue with this. (Friend of mine was kind enough to pass her old(er) set to me.)

Again, please dont rip me apart. :-) Oh, and I have a bike shop close by for anything I can't figure out. I lurk here quite a bit and am SO thankful for everyone's knowledge. I would be lost without the help I've received here.
    Last edited by Pg2005; 07-16-2012 at 10:05 PM.

They'll come completely assembled and ready to go.

Unfortunately, you'll need to take them completely apart to install the Natural Fits.

I'd have high pressure rim tape, a couple extra tubes, and a couple of tire irons on the order, too.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    They'll come completely assembled and ready to go.

Unfortunately, you'll need to take them completely apart to install the Natural Fits.

I'd have high pressure rim tape, a couple extra tubes, and a couple of tire irons on the order, too.
    I had never heard of high-pressure rim tape before. Thanks. My wheels have standard (I guess that's what you'd call it) cloth-style rim tape put on at my local bike shop. I had an inner tube puncture last week located at the valve stem; high-pressure tape might have prevented it.

. . . a couple extra tubes. . .
    Always; and I highly recommend Schwalbe tubes.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Always; and I highly recommend Schwalbe tubes.
    Oh yeah...the full stainless stems are great. I'm still sporting the same Schwalbe HP tape, tube, and tire that came on one wheel, that came with my chair in 2008. Been on and off a couple times, too, for hand rim issues. I popped the other remounting it with crappy tools, but it was fine.

Highly recommended!!

Oh yeah...the full stainless stems are great. I'm still sporting the same Schwalbe HP tape, tube, and tire that came on one wheel, that came with my chair in 2008. Been on and off a couple times, too, for hand rim issues. I popped the other remounting it with crappy tools, but it was fine.

Highly recommended!!
    You must be lucky (or I must be unlucky) because my tubes popped within the first 1.5 months of having them...do not know if the DME pinched the tubes and it just decided to go then or not....but I am not rocking kenda tubes and so far...no issues.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    You must be lucky (or I must be unlucky) because my tubes popped within the first 1.5 months of having them...do not know if the DME pinched the tubes and it just decided to go then or not....but I am not rocking kenda tubes and so far...no issues.
    Maybe I was cornfused, I was referring to Schawlbe tubes, tape, and tires, not Kenda. ??

What rims/wheels do you have now? You say you want to keep your present hand rims. Make sure they will fit your new rims. You may also need new axles.

You may have trouble moving the NFs over, do you know what kind of wheels you have now? Or what way they mount? It may require something like bending the tabs on the NFs etc when going from different wheels.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Whew, so much to learn!

I have to look at this in more detail tomorrow, but I believe I have Spinergy Wire's right now.

Will staying with spinergy's allow me to keep my current axles? Or not necessarily?

Recommendation of Schwalbe tubes noted.

Ok, so what else am I overlooking?
    Last edited by Pg2005; 07-16-2012 at 10:05 PM.