Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Question about handcycles

FO, if the transfer back to chair will be challenging for you go with the higher bike as you may ride less anticipating the difficult transfer. If you are pretty sure you want to enter races probably go w reclined, low frame as you will undoubtedly be faster. If you will mainly be riding on the shoulders of public roads bear in mind you may be invisible to texting or otherwise distracted drivers in a low reclining bike - definitely use a flag no matter what bike you get when riding in these situations. Back when I did wheelchair road racing a number of racers died when training when hit by cars and in a reclining bike w low frame you are even less visible. If you are forced onto an unpaved road shoulder you will do better on a higher framed bike. If you anticipate much use on non paved, poorly paved or badly maintained, irregular surfaces avoid the lower framed, reclined bikes. If you just want to have fun riding w AB friends consider Mark's PowerPod or the Freedom Rider w lithium, battery built in otherwise your AB buddies will be waiting on you halfway up the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    FO, if the transfer back to chair will be challenging for you go with the higher bike as you may ride less anticipating the difficult transfer. If you are pretty sure you want to enter races probably go w reclined, low frame as you will undoubtedly be faster. If you will mainly be riding on the shoulders of public roads bear in mind you may be invisible to texting or otherwise distracted drivers in a low reclining bike - definitely use a flag no matter what bike you get when riding in these situations. Back when I did wheelchair road racing a number of racers died when training when hit by cars and in a reclining bike w low frame you are even less visible. If you are forced onto an unpaved road shoulder you will do better on a higher framed bike. If you anticipate much use on non paved, poorly paved or badly maintained, irregular surfaces avoid the lower framed, reclined bikes. If you just want to have fun riding w AB friends consider Mark's PowerPod or the Freedom Rider w lithium, battery built in otherwise your AB buddies will be waiting on you halfway up the hill.
    Thanks, AG! Tranfers shouldn't be a problem. The other drawbacks of a low bike are concerns. Not planning to do much (if any) competitive racing. I'm wanting to mostly have a fun method of exercising in the great outdoors. The Keys are flat as a board, and I'm interested in biking because it's something I can do without coordinating with others. I'd be playing basketball if it didn't require so much organizational effort. There are some great trails, but getting to them requires either hauling or riding through some rough stuff and traffic. More and more, it seems like the lay flat competition bikes aren't going to suit me. What I really want is a bat-bike that has the ability to quickly switch configurations to suit my changing need.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

A FreedomRyder might be your best choice.

Last weekend, I test-rode a new prototype bike from Intrepid. It is a reclined bike, but it isn't as low or laid back as the all-out racing bikes. It was very solid and strong and had an easy transfer (because of the unique frame design.) In talking with the owner of Intrepid, it is expected that the production version should be in the works within the next month or two. It might be worth checking out. It seems to have a pretty good balance of performance and comfort.

AG; TWL - thanks! Will check out both.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg