Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Stew in China May 11, 2004

fuentejps,

The reason is that anesthesia may prevent your bladder from releasing. If your bladder fills up during surgery (i.e. they give iv and other fluids), you may develop AD and other problems. In surgery, when there are any questions about the bladder, they usually put a foley in. I don't know their practice in China concerning this and they may be willing to take the risk but, if I were the surgeon or anesthesiologist, that is one problem that I would not want to worry about in the operating room. There is one other reason that it is important to have a foley placed. To estimate the amount of fluids to give, it is important that the doctors and nurses know your urine output. They have no way of measuring how much output you have if it is in your bladder.

Unfortunately, at the rally for cure, there was just too much going on and I did not have a chance to speak to Dr. Huang for more than couple of seconds but he is going to come to the lab and I will ask him.

Wise.

Hey Stew - So glad you got out of the hospital for a little sight seeing. You are obviously feeling well enough to get up and go and I love the fact that you are being treated with great respect. Hugs & kisses to Chris from dad & step mom. Rick's ticket has been cancelled and he is now arriving in China on June 13th...I think Liza shipped the shower chair but not too sure I'll try calling her again today and let you know.

Stew,
    I am glad you got to get out and about. If there is one thing about the Chinese it is their sense of hospitality. They are such a wonderful culture. Wasn't just seeing the Great Wall surreal? It is like looking at something out of a storybook!
    Actually, climbing it was exhausting! It is very steep in some places.

Cheers!
    Marcie

Today we saw the Summer Palace, Forbidden City and Tianenmen Square. Not only did the student nurse H Bird come along but also DR Li. What concern and care. My wheelchair pushed by a doctor. Find that in America. OK Maybe DR Young but not many. DR Li said the sun was good on my neck. Now, for the first time in 10 years my wife could feel me flexing the upper leg muscle in my right leg. It is clearly getting stronger.

Stew, it seems to me that you have more than a doctor, that you have made a friend for life. Wise.

Originally posted by Stew:

Today we saw the Summer Palace, Forbidden City and Tianenmen Square. Not only did the student nurse H Bird come along but also DR Li. What concern and care. My wheelchair pushed by a doctor. Find that in America. OK Maybe DR Young but not many. DR Li said the sun was good on my neck. Now, for the first time in 10 years my wife could feel me flexing the upper leg muscle in my right leg. It is clearly getting stronger.

stew could u give us a full update every little bit plz

Great news Stew, keep at it!

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Stew,
    They are wonderful caregivers and healers, aren't they?
    Keep it up! I am glad to hear you are doing well!
    Marcie

DR Young, I have find several friends who I hope to stay in touch with. I hope to return to Beijing as a tourist. There is so much to see and we took just one quick peek.
    I will gladly provide any updates you desire if you let me know what information you want. I do not wamt to get boring.
    Today was spent getting ready to go home. Packing and getting transportation arranged for my power chair and luggage. I dread the 13 hour flight plus connection to Champaign. My next post will be after we get home.

Hello Stew, I am new to this forum and I've been following your progress and time in China. I would like to thank you for all the great information regarding both your personal journey and surgical procedure, it's been invaluable and i wish you the very best!! Please do keep us updated with your progress. Thanks again

fabian