Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Stew in China May 11, 2004

stew, are you having the neurogenic pain others who have had the surgery are having. that makes me nervous, ive never had pain in 17 years

I have had no real pain other than burning in my legs before or after surgery. Even after surgery I had no great pain but I do not think this is normal. Chris and Hiro had alot of pain. As for walking, I have seen very little improvement in my leg muscles and the movement has very little use. Not close to walking. The viral infection continues to limit my time sitting up each day.

Originally posted by Stew:

I have had no real pain other than burning in my legs before or after surgery. Even after surgery I had no great pain but I do not think this is normal. Chris and Hiro had alot of pain. As for walking, I have seen very little improvement in my leg muscles and the movement has very little use. Not close to walking. The viral infection continues to limit my time sitting up each day.
    how do u get a viral infection. also when u feel better will u begin intense rehab

My first real update since being home. The viral infection seems to be past. I think I got it from the food. The bladder has returned to preoperation so now no real change. Bowel feels different when I go and is not as good as before operation but I can tell in the last two days it is returning back to before. My hands are still less tight giving me more finger mobility. The chest muscles are still better. I will begin theraphy in ST Louis July 12 with evaluation. I hope to do suspended weight treadmill with robotic leg braces, FES bike and weights. My legs tingle and burn lightly but I still have no pain before or after the operation.

This week I have returned to out patient theraphy in ST Louis. Weight supported robotic leg brace for an hour. Prior to the session I do an hour on the FES bike and then work out on various weight exercises for 20 minutes. My hands continue to be slightly more functional since China. My chest muscles are better and leg spasms remain less especially at night which allows me to sleep much better.

boeg04

It has been a month since my last update. The stiffness in my hands has returned to presurgery level so now no change in my hands. My chest muscles and the muscles between my ribs continue to function well. The rib muscles assist in breathing so these are helpful. Spasms have begun in my lower back which is new. When sitting on the edge of the mat my trunk control has improved. I have an MRI scheduled for September 21 which will be my first since surgery. The sharp/dull test on my upper body showed slight improvement. My lower body was not tested at this time. My leg muscles are showing slight improvement but is not to the level of useful function. Bowel muscles are closer to returning to presurgery level. My ability to hold when having to urinate has improved in the last month. I can easily hold for 45 minutes to an hour after feeling I could go. It is the ease of holding that has changed. My legs still do not spasm at night like they did before surgery but the spasms are slowly returning. Now my legs want to push straight out whereas after surgery they would lay bent all night. I am currently in theraphy twice a week. I do weight workout, FES bike and either mat work or suspended weight treadmill. Next week I add an hour of OT each session.

This month my bowel muscles have returned to presurgery levels. The MRI was done but I have not heard the results as yet. My back spasms are reduced to seldom again. Changes seem to be still in the belt line and legs muscles. I am going to a local gym 5 days a week in October to workout and am not in theraphy. ST Louis is 115 miles so the gym is much easier. My Dr. thought it was a good idea to try this for 4-6 weeks. My feet and legs are beginning to have more feeling/pain in them.

Hi Stew, Thanks for update, are they using any estim at therapy?

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

I e stem my hands at home 5 times a week trying to get some finger improvements.