Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Stew in China May 11, 2004

Surgery began at 8AM as planned but instead of being back in my room at noon I did not get back until 4PM. The delay was caused by my bone being too large. To place the cells where they wanted they had to hand drill a hole. Dr Li and Dr Liu said they have never drilled bone so hard. I woke up with swelling above both temples which caused me some pain in the night. The swelling was caused by lying face down during the surgery. Two massages by a nurse and cold compresses solved the problem. Chris and Hito are both experiencing a lot of pain. I have no pain other that mentioned above which the Dr's can not explain. I have been very sleepy. I think I can see a couple of small improvements, but will wait until they are more prominent. I have IVs in my hand and neck and am constantly monitored for blood pressure, heart rate and temperature. I had a slight fever last night but it is gone now. Thanks to everyone for the support.

stew, I am so glad. Wise.

Great news Stew! Man you must be one tuff dude. I managed to dodge that pain also, lucky us eh. BTW. Dr. Li's nickname is Dr. Cruel Li, wait till he starts harping on you about exercising. Again glad to hear your all doing well.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Hi Stew, how are you doing today. can you tell chris his dad says 'hi' and loves him so much and he will see him soon. hope you are doing great.

[This message was edited by ackerman on 05-25-04 at 09:44 PM.]

I got up into my chair last night but failed to post. Sorry. Yesterday my cath came out at 10:30. By evening the hand IV was removed then the neck IV. The neck IV was held in by 2 stiches and turned out to be a 6" tube inserted into the vein of my neck. Its removeal did cause discomfort. I am now with out any tubes and back in my chair. The continued lack of pain has been a pleasant surprise. Everything I had before the operation is back to normal. (Bowel, bladder ect) Hito is back in his chair but Chris continues with much pain. Monday Hito and I were operated on. Tuesday 3 more and Wednesday 2 more. I believe I am seeing slight changes but wish to wait for better confirmation before getting any hopes up.

Stew,
    Keep up the good work. Every thing sounds great for ya.
    I am not sure if you can answer this question or if this is a question for Dr. Young but here goes: Why do most of the patients experience some degree of pain post surgery? Is this because the body is adjusting to the new cells or is it simply post surgical pain?

MERCO

Last night my leg spasms turned into stretches compared to hard thrust draw up combinations. Also I noticed that for the first time since my accident my legs felt normal in bed. No tingling or burning. Just the feel of the sheets. Today I have slight tingling in my lower legs and feet again. Finger movements that are new or are stronger come then go so it is too early to tell what will be. I have sat in my chair all day today. I am back on an IV for a slight temperature. Hopefully I will get rid of it tomorrow. My neck is stiff but no pain. Hito seems to be doing well but I have not seen Chris. His pain continues.

Hi Steve,
    Could you please tell me your lesion length. and also have Dr. Huang a cirteria for the lesion length?
    Thank you very much for your help.

May 28/04

Stew , following your progess and still looking for info as to
    how to get in touch with Dr. Haung. My son is a 21 year old
    para and we would be very thankfull for any info. Did e-mail
    Dr. Haung and also tried to call his office but no one spoke
    english. Thanks for any help
    susan

Originally posted by merco:

Stew,
    Keep up the good work. Every thing sounds great for ya.
    I am not sure if you can answer this question or if this is a question for Dr. Young but here goes: Why do most of the patients experience some degree of pain post surgery? Is this because the body is adjusting to the new cells or is it simply post surgical pain?

MERCO
    Merco, It may be more than post-operative pain which should be localized to the surgery area. Not everybody seems to have pain but some people appear to have pain in the dermatomes below the injury site, suggesting that this might be related to sprouting of fibers or other possible changes in the spinal cord. Wise.