Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Assited transfer floor to wheelchair advice

Do you mean a "transfer belt" like this? We have tried something similar, but it's just not enough for me or others to safely lift him from the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by alysacamron11 View Post
    Movement belt is good for patient transfer. It gives more comfort and safety to the patient.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

When your husband is on floor, can he sit upright? Basically close to 90-degree? Is you husband capable of assisting any with arm(s)? Does leg(s) assist any in transfer? I ask legs specifically because if he is wearing a shoe with any kind of rubber sole, that may be creating friction in trying to do transfer. If no shoes on and only sock it is extremely difficult to get feet into any position where leg can assist in transfer. All the feet do is slide like on ice. Even if can get feet in position to help it still extremely difficult for feet to maintain that position with socks on.

He only has the use of his right arm and leg (non-dominant side), but they are often quite weak after a seizure. I usually get him leaning up on big pillows or a bean bag footrest to help him sit up. It is really hard for him to rise in any way from the floor, especially because he is often in pain after a fall. I manage to help him up, but then my back is done in for a week and he is usually pretty wiped out from it too. He has rubber soled shoes on at all the times.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    When your husband is on floor, can he sit upright? Basically close to 90-degree? Is you husband capable of assisting any with arm(s)? Does leg(s) assist any in transfer? I ask legs specifically because if he is wearing a shoe with any kind of rubber sole, that may be creating friction in trying to do transfer. If no shoes on and only sock it is extremely difficult to get feet into any position where leg can assist in transfer. All the feet do is slide like on ice. Even if can get feet in position to help it still extremely difficult for feet to maintain that position with socks on.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Are you saying then he is basically laying on floor? On stomach or back? Leg(s) contracted or extended? I am trying to picture how I did this and what I looked like when I started. This took me a while to figure out and definitely was not easy. Are you able to move him to either wall of something that is heavy enough it wuld not move if you used that to help you? I am trying to think of what I did from there.

Hie is in the recovery position laying on the floor. I have tried different techniques, like pulling him to a wall. Because he has shoulder subluxation, where the upper arm bone (humerus) can drop out of the shoulder socket, so I have to be very careful how I do it.