Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Assited transfer floor to wheelchair advice

Here's a link for transfer vids
    DIGG.

Id seen a youtube of a guy recovering from lying backwards, being taught at PT. I haven't found that exact one but this is the same method in a quick video. Of course, not possible for hemi but maybe the visual will help others. And also it could be adapted to help a hemi with the individual doing half and the assistant doing the other half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwrbUqeqZHQ
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

How about a tub lift like the invacare Rio? http://bike-on.com/product/bike-on-h...-seat-1874.htm These look like they'd be good for getting down to the ground from the chair to go swimming too and that sort of activity.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    ...We are also looking into ways to prevent the falls in the first place, but the advice I am seeking is more about what to do if they should happen. Some falls are also due to epilepsy, which we really can´t do a lot about...
    Tell him he is looking at it all wrong. The best way to assure his dependence will be to continue being "independent" and falling. Taking unnecessary risks is stupid and not fair to you. I'm sure an undetected broken coccyx was the gateway to my wife's first stage IV pressure sore. The elderly mother of a friend of mine is now in a nursing home likely for the rest of her life due to falling (in the hospital off all places) trying to go to the bathroom by herself. A broken hip and pressure sores took their toll. Now her substantial savings is gone and my friend is fighting to get her qualified for Medicaid before she get evicted with no money left to support herself. Little falls can be very expensive in more ways than you imagine.

My advice - get a lift now. Don't put it off. At least a hoyer, but preferably a ceiling lift and track so he has some chance of feeling in control and doing a complete transfer himself. Then use it all the time. I've seen a couple nice used ceiling lift systems on ebay lately for just over $2K. The first day in the hospital will make that look like pocket change.

I'm looking into this again after my husband had bad seizures and fell out of his chair last week (see this post about Seizures while in a chair #18). Previously I was mostly looking for something I could use to help him, but now I realize that we need something that others can easily help him with too.

We need a lift for floor to chair transfers to be able to get him back into the wheelchair by either me or on-call help if he has a fall. It would not be used a lot (we hope), maximum 1 time per month. Because it will be used infrequently, it would be nice if we could get something that could do double duty as a portable lift for other times he needs it, i.e., the occasional bath at home (we have roll-in shower) or for when traveling by car to hotels without good bathroom facilities. It will also be good for caregivers who may not be up to doing manual transfers, for example when I or his ADL assistant have a bad back.

He has reasonable upper body control, but only has the use of one arm and one leg while transferring. We usually do semi-weight bearing standing pivot transfers. He would always have assistance when using a lift. He is only about 150 lbs. so it does not need to be heavy duty. It needs to be narrow to move through doors when assembled. We want something that does not take up too much space when not in use and light weight for traveling (foldable). It needs to be easy to assemble without tools if used while traveling.

I had looked into portable hydraulic manual lifts with the idea that it would be used infrequently and would be enough. I had also looked into a lifting cushion, like this from Mangar, the Elk Emergency Lifting Cushion and also a bath lift like the Invacare Rio Bath Lift.

As I was writing this post I heard a big thud, and Rob had his first fall transferring from the bed to his wheelchair. What I realized is that even with ambulance personnel they are not familiar with hemiplegia, and don't listen to me, and I would have rather had the electric lift to get him back in his chair once we determined that he had not broken anything.

I'm trying to get insurance to pick this up, and I think we will get the equivalent of a "Letter of Medical Necessity" from his doctor who treated him after the last fall. But I think we are going to be limited to what is available in Holland.

So far, the only real option that I see is the Hoyer Advance. I finally realized that the name for Hoyer in Europe is Oxford. Here are links to them: UK: Hoyer Professional Advance, NL: Oxford Pro Advance.

I've also seen the Invacare Birdie Compact, but can't seem to get on their websites to learn much about it.

Does anyone have any input on either of these lifts, or another lift that might fit our needs? I have not even started to look at slings, so any idea's for that would be helpful too.

This may sound like a stupid question, but can a lift like this also be used for getting into a swimming pool from the side of the pool? Pool hoists are rare in Europe.
    Last edited by elarson; 06-07-2013 at 06:55 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

although not very portable to take with to a swimming pool, nor for home baths, this is what I used to resort to. http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...ble-94822.html
    The price is reasonable, I picked mine up locally for just over $100. Worked great when I was fresh injury getting on and off my handcycle.

Always remember - the best adapted equipment is the equipment you adapt.

Elarson, there's a pretty big market for bath lifts in the uk- lots available, and not very expensive. I have been considering something like the bath buddy (http://www.bathliftability.co.uk/sit...F-B-BATHBUDDY*) or the bath wizard (http://www.bathliftability.co.uk/sit...BATH%20WIZARD*) for some time, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Both are portable, and the bath wizard is fully non-powered, which I really like. Those may not be the best prices btw, check google.co.uk and eBay.co.uk. A lot of places will deliver outside the uk

Sounds like something that is similar in function to this might be helpful.

Of course it would need a seat like on a bath lift or similar.

These are frequently used for moving heavy machines into trucks and vans.

Available used for reasonable amounts.

http://www.handtrucksrus.com/crashde...?ID=1270&cx=bp

I was looking for something like this a few months ago. Unfortunately, I think we need something more now. I'll keep it mind for later though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyy View Post
    Sounds like something that is similar in function to this might be helpful.

Of course it would need a seat like on a bath lift or similar.

These are frequently used for moving heavy machines into trucks and vans.

Available used for reasonable amounts.

http://www.handtrucksrus.com/crashde...?ID=1270&cx=bp

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Using a cushion, the cushion itself, is absorbing a lot of energy. A towel should slide more effectively with the tradeoff of a "rougher ride." Another idea is can you gradually elevate him. Transfer onto 1-2 cushions and then from there transfer something even higher like more cushions. Look for ideas that you would be able t do in "pieces" instead of the transfer in 1 single process. This should make it easer for you.