Thread: Testosterone Gel

Testosterone Gel

A few weeks ago my doctor tested my test levels. His nurse called the other day saying it was low so my doctor called in a prescription. I picked it up today and the bottle says 5% Gel - 30GM. Two pumps equals 1ML and to apply to forearms. How much test is this a week? Also it says that no one should come in contact where I apply the gel. That will be an issue on my forearms as I play with my nephew and others that help me touch my arms. I read where some say to apply it to the inner thigh or testicles for better absorption. Any opinions on test?
    John-B

I use it. I have my caregiver put it on my back when I get out of bed. It's made a big difference and I'm pretty careful about having other caregivers rubbing that area too much
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I use Fortesta gel. My instructions are to use on the inside or top of my thighs. It may be washed off after 2 hours. Women and (male) children are not supposed to come into contact with it.

Good luck.
    ][COLOR=
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

My Dad uses Testim gel, and puts it on his chest/shoulders/upper back... usually the areas that are hidden under his shirt.

Yes, it is good to put it on areas that are "hidden" so when you are holding kids etc.. it doesn't rub off on them.

Didn't you see that episode of "House"?

I wouldn't rub it on places that you aren't supposed to - ask your doc and read the instructions carefully. My father used to "experiment" with applying it.... eager to get the best effect.... well his testosterone went crazy high it and it pushed his hematocrit until the 50's which is NOT normal and can increase your risk of stroke.

There's usually a pretty good reason for instructions that come with meds. Always check with your doc before trusting advice on the internet.

Apply the testosterone gel at bedtime and wear a t-shirt atop

At my health facility we treat low testosterone levels with injections. It must be cheaper to do it that way. I believe the testosterone gel is pricey and my facility doesn't carry it. Only compounding pharmacies carry it (at least that is how it was several months ago when I checked).

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-15-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spell correction

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Apply the testosterone gel at bedtime and where a t-shirt atop

At my health facility we treat low testosterone levels with injections. It must be cheaper to do it that way. I believe the testosterone gel is pricey and my facility doesn't carry it. Only compounding pharmacies carry it (at least that is how it was several month.

pbr

You are right - the injections are cheapest, so they are popular. The topicals tend to be pricier, but most popular brands are not hard to get at normal pharmacies. The topicals are the most consistent delivery method, as the shots can lead to much more dramatic peaks/valleys in testosterone levels.