Thread: Wheelchair cushion/back heating systems

Wheelchair cushion/back heating systems

This might sound like a crazy question, but I´m wondering if the are any wheelchair seat cushions or backs with heating systems. My husband is constantly cold, and it really limits what we do, and causes us to have the heating in the house really high. I´m thinking that it would make more sense to heat him, rather than heat the whole house to sauna levels (also getting very expensive).

I think much of it has to do with being confined to a wheelchair, but also where he had strokes near the hypothalamus that controls body temperature.

Would love to hear any input you may have. I´ve seen nothing in my research about this.

-- Ellyn
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I did find a few seat cushions, but most are made for outdoor sports, camping, and auto´s, and do not have variable enough settings, have clunky cushions around them, or are only heated by a power cord, 12V for auto´s, or USB for office use.

I did find one that might possibly work, a Gerbings Battery Powered Stadium Seat Cushion, if we can purchase the core heating technology liner/insert apart from the cushion. It´s power source a 7V 2.2Ah rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Here is the approximate heat output and duration:
    100% 135°F 2 hours
    75% 115°F 3 hours
    50% 105°F 5 hours
    25% 85°F 10 hours

I think that Gerbings is the leader in heated clothing, so I have sent them an e-mail to see if they have anything that might work.

We are looking for a battery powered heated liner/insert for a wheelchair cushion and can not find one anywhere. I think there is a market for a product for wheelchair users who often have a hard time staying warm because they are confined to a wheelchair, and may also have neurological impairment to their hypothalamus that controls body temperature.

We are looking for variable levels of heat for use both indoors and outdoors. Because most wheelchair users have specialized cushions and covers it should be something that can sit on top of a cushion, but within the cushion cover. It should be lightweight, have a thin profile and be very pliable so that it does not interfere with the core cushion functions.

Here are some links for examples of the type of wheelchair cushions that we would want to use it with:
    http://www.varilite.com/products_detail.aspx?prodID=3
    http://www.supracor.com/products/show/3
    http://www.therohogroup.com/products...te_cushion.jsp

From what I can see, your Battery Powered Stadium Seat Cushion might work, but we would not want the cushion with it. Can you send me the specifications and pictures of the Core Heat Transfer System used within the seat cushion along with the connection to the lithium-ion battery?

If you have other suggestions I would be very interested. I would be happy to discuss our requirements more if you think there is any possibility to use your heating technology for this purpose.
    I would be interested to hear if any others have interest in something like this too. If so, I´ll update this post if I learn more.
    Last edited by elarson; 07-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

i would just be careful of burns and check his skin frequently.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I'm at the end of the healing process of a 2nd degree burn on my back from a heating pad... yes, be careful.

How about just a heated vest instead? There are many battery operated models out, here is one; *I have no idea if this one is any good, just googled it up*

http://www.activheat.com/index_files...fleeceVest.htm

There are all kinds of heated clothing out, if a vest isn't what you are after.

edit: oh, I see you have seen heated clothing stuff, must be like me and hate to have too many layers on in my chair.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    How about just a heated vest instead? ...
    The idea would be for use pretty much everyday indoors. I don´t think it would be nice to wear clothing for it all the time. Right now we need to keep our house heated to about 24.6 degree Celsius / 76 degree Fahrenheit for him to maintain a comfortable temperature. With a big old house, it´s costing a fortune. Space heaters are also not very practical.

I am concerned for possible burns or too much sweating. I think it would need to be a very reliable unit, possibly with some sort of automatic shut-off mechanism.
    Last edited by elarson; 07-14-2012 at 05:00 PM.

even with an automatic shut off you still gotta be hyper vigilant. i wear hats and sweaters indoors lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

being a quad I'm constantly cold. I use a table top (desktop) heater and have it blowing on me while I sit next to it, occasionally I'll close the door to the room I'm in and it will get it nice and toasty while the rest of the house is at 68 degrees F.