Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight of Tilite alumunum Vs titanium backrest

weight of Tilite alumunum Vs titanium backrest

The other day I happened to pick up a titanium version of my ZR's backrest on eBay. It was only $35.00, and you don't often see that sort of thing floating around eBay, so I figured I'd "upgrade" my ZR to the superlite version of the back.

On Spoirtaid/Spinlife, the titanium back you can order as part of the "superlite" edition/package on the ZR2/ZRA2 or by itself for an extra $148

I took off all the junk so I just had bare metal and compared the weight.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1131735...59881917465426

https://picasaweb.google.com/1131735...59892905148402

https://picasaweb.google.com/1131735...59904764244034

https://picasaweb.google.com/1131735...59918979200050

https://picasaweb.google.com/1131735...59933237945058

The painted aluminum backrest is 365.2g, and the bare (thinner walled) titanium is 339.3g

So the titanium backrest off a 15" wide chair weighs a whole 16.9 grams less than the aluminum version.

That's a difference of little less than the weight of 7 pennies.

So there you have it. I'll keep it because it looks better and will scratch less easily than the painted black one.
    Last edited by ChrissyOT; 07-13-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Let's see...

OT
    CareCure contributor
    TiLite ZR user
    Quirky enough to compare subtle differences in wheelchair options and post that info on the web for all to see.

Where have I seen that combo before?

...were we separated at birth or something?

The density of aluminum is almost one half of titanium so your results aren't surprising. However, the titanium backrest is stronger so you made out good for $35 despite the meager weight savings.

Wow, this place is filling up with some excellent quality experts. Keep the info coming!

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    The density of aluminum is almost one half of titanium so your results aren't surprising. However, the titanium backrest is stronger so you made out good for $35 despite the meager weight savings.

Theory is one thing, practical application is another. Question: Why would TiLite require aluminum components when selecting their heavy duty upgrade option, as pointed out by SCI_OTR in an earlier thread?

It would appear, by this, that whatever the text book properties of Al vs Ti may or may not be, TiLite believes their Al hardware is more suitable for a heavy duty chair.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Titanium is very heavy compared to aluminum. I have some extra Tilite parts and I couldn't believe how much lighter the aluminum axle tube was compared to the titanium one. The aluminum felt like a feather. I would have used it except I wanted the strength of the Ti. Titanium is lighter than steel by nearly half but I use it for it's properties, not to save weight.

By the way, could everyone else get off Ebay, I keep finding things I need and I always have competition. Who got the new seatback fabric a week ago? Bastards ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Titanium is very heavy compared to aluminum. I have some extra Tilite parts and I couldn't believe how much lighter the aluminum axle tube was compared to the titanium one. The aluminum felt like a feather. I would have used it except I wanted the strength of the Ti. Titanium is lighter than steel by nearly half but I use it for it's properties, not to save weight.

By the way, could everyone else get off Ebay, I keep finding things I need and I always have competition. Who got the new seatback fabric a week ago? Bastards ;-)
    I have a 16in tilite fabric back you can have if that is the one you meant.

Yes, please! Thank you. Want a pair of used NaturalFit rims?

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    It is exactly because of you and others on here that I decided to order an aluminum axle tube when I changed the camber on my ZR. The cost difference between ti and al isn't much, and I wanted lighter vs heavier/stronger.

I also thought about getting the carbon fiber one, but it was too expensive for my tastes.