Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hand controls for paddle shift car

2007 Mini Cooper S steering wheel

Paddles on the spokes of the wheel let you select gears for the six-speed automatic transmission.

April 30, 2007 12:29 PM PDT
    Photo by: CNET Networks

Join the conversation

quickly sign in with:

Comment Add your comment The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Click here to review our Terms of Use.

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    2007 Mini Cooper S steering wheel

Paddles on the spokes of the wheel let you select gears for the six-speed automatic transmission.

What do you drive with now?

i wonder what the switches do?
    are they electric or canBus (what exactly do they control).

There doesn't look like theres a lot of room to the left of the wheel.
    From the pic i'm not sure what would even fit in there and still be able to get full brake.

Id have to have sit in one.

Its going to depending on what the switches do, what you currently drive with, how big your are and what you can adapt too.

If it was me 6' i wouldn't get one, i doubt i'd fit into to it comfortably.

If you fit and don't mind doing the gas brake with your right hand and if someone could replicate what the switches do. i'd install Veigel hand controls and build custom switches on the hand control to run the shifter.

Or if the price didn't matter i'd build a one off set of custom hand controls to do whatever worked best for you along with custom switches to run the shifter.

One step higher would be servo hand controls via a lever along with custom switches to run the shifter
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    You can tap either shifter back and forth on the cooper to up and down shift.
    That definitely makes it easier. I know not all accelerator pedals are the same but my suregrips require little movement for the gas pedal to be depressed. That allows me to keep most of my left hand fingers on the steering wheel and I can accelerate by just using my last two fingers. Should I need to stop in a hurry, my palm is right there to push down to brake. There's no way I can do that with my MPD's since they're right angle to accelerate.

Monarchs are what I've used in multiple Corvettes with paddle shifters(1 sort of pic in my CP album)... Currently have MPD controls in a Raptor w/ manual mode shift mounted on shifter in console... BTW, you can easily have special shaped handles made that will allow Monarchs and MPD to be used even in tight spaces. I've done it in multiple vehicles.

I would also look at Wells-Engberg and Suregrip twist grip controls if space is tight and you prefer to not use other type of control... I'm not a huge SureGrip fan(rock style, not twist). Tried them on several vehicles and replaced them on all. They were not responsive enough for use on the track, and were kind of clunky feeling to me. Other people seem to like them though.

I'm not sure of set up in Mini but not all paddle shifters are the same... Vette has up/down shift on both side of steering wheel while Porsche,Jaguar, Maserati, Nissan etc have only 1 per side making it more difficult depending on your abilities....

I would not use Veigel hand controls unless you have great balance and don't ever need a second hand on the wheel. Being able to use the hand control for balance/stability and also have partial or close contact with second hand is really helpful, especially at the track or even just cornering on the street. Also, don't let anyone talk you into a complex over-engineered set up because the factory systems work good on their own.

Good luck!!! Post pics of your set up when done!!!
    Last edited by BriRi; 07-17-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by BriRi View Post
    Monarchs are what I've used in multiple Corvettes with paddle shifters(1 sort of pic in my CP album)... Currently have MPD controls in a Raptor w/ manual mode shift mounted on shifter in console... BTW, you can easily have special shaped handles made that will allow Monarchs and MPD to be used even in tight spaces. I've done it in multiple vehicles.

I would also look at Wells-Engberg and Suregrip twist grip controls if space is tight and you prefer to not use other type of control... I'm not a huge SureGrip fan(rock style, not twist). Tried them on several vehicles and replaced them on all. They were not responsive enough for use on the track, and were kind of clunky feeling to me. Other people seem to like them though.

I'm not sure of set up in Mini but not all paddle shifters are the same... Vette has up/down shift on both side of steering wheel while Porsche,Jaguar, Maserati, Nissan etc have only 1 per side making it more difficult depending on your abilities....

I would not use Veigel hand controls unless you have great balance and don't ever need a second hand on the wheel. Being able to use the hand control for balance/stability and also have partial or close contact with second hand is really helpful, especially at the track or even just cornering on the street. Also, don't let anyone talk you into a complex over-engineered set up because the factory systems work good on their own.

Good luck!!! Post pics of your set up when done!!!
    Hey Bri, I have a stack of Monarchs having used them for years but do not like them. Very old technology, knee busters and radio on loud to dampen all the klunk sounds they make!
    The mini shifters do up/down using either shifter. I'm bummed to hear the rocking style shifter is unresponsive... thought that might be a good option! Thanks for the input, how do I find your pic albums?
    Thanks

Roller,

You may have to test SureGrip rocking control for yourself. I did not like them but I was concerned with precise response and stability for "tracking" my cars. I have nort tried their twist grip control but will probably give them and Wells-Engberg a try on my next car.

Viegel and Menox controls are nice and out of the way but don't allow enough stability for me when driving all out. That being said, I did install Viegels in my wifes SUV and they work fine.

Pic is in my user profile under albums. Only 1 pic shows my hand control from the side. Custom bent handle on Monarch control keeps it from hitting my leg. Good close up photos on an earlier thread called "Whats everyone drive". You can search for my previous posts. I think they are on page 7 or so.

Good luck.
    Last edited by BriRi; 07-19-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added info on previous thread

Quote Originally Posted by BriRi View Post
    Roller,

You may have to test SureGrip rocking control for yourself. I did not like them but I was concerned with precise response and stability for "tracking" my cars. I have nort tried their twist grip control but will probably give them and Wells-Engberg a try on my next car.

Viegel and Menox controls are nice and out of the way but don't allow enough stability for me when driving all out. That being said, I did install Viegels in my wifes SUV and they work fine.

Pic is in my user profile under albums. Only 1 pic shows my hand control from the side. Custom bent handle on Monarch control keeps it from hitting my leg. Good close up photos on an earlier thread called "Whats everyone drive". You can search for my previous posts. I think they are on page 7 or so.

Good luck.
    Wells-Engberg makes a great hand control with good mechanical feedback (reminds me of riding a motorcycle)

If your looking for precision in a twist hand control it's hard to find anything better than a DADC control. There vacuum servo makes for a really nice light feel.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA