Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Back vs. Folding (Adjustable)

Fixed Back vs. Folding (Adjustable)

For my next chair (TR) I have been contemplating going with a fixed back. On my folding back there is some play in it and I haven't adjusted the angle since I found the spot to my liking and I have never folded the back down. On the other hand, with the folding back I will always have the ability to change my seat back angle if desired. I go back and forth on the issue, so I thought I would pose the issue to you all to get some thoughts.

I will add a second question asking how much better is the new bracket on the folding seat back vs. the older design?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

If you ordered a Matrx MX1 backrest with the mono mount attachment (to a round rigidizer bar) you could have the best of both worlds: a fixed back and an angle-adjustable backrest.

http://www.motionconcepts.com/pdf/seating/Mx1.pdf

A possibility Stephen. I just tried an ADI solid back on my current chair and I didn't like it. I wanted to try a solid back on my current chair prior to any chair order. I may have liked the ADI back more if I could have gotten it lower, but the 2 point pro bracket was running into my rigidizer bar and not allowing me to lower the back past a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    For my next chair (TR) I have been contemplating going with a fixed back. On my folding back there is some play in it and I haven't adjusted the angle since I found the spot to my liking and I have never folded the back down. On the other hand, with the folding back I will always have the ability to change my seat back angle if desired. I go back and forth on the issue, so I thought I would pose the issue to you all to get some thoughts.

I will add a second question asking how much better is the new bracket on the folding seat back vs. the older design?
    With the level of injury you have I would guess your backrest height is in the 13-14 inch range? Do you transfer into a car and put your chair in the passenger seat? If so (or if anyone who has a fixed back that high) is that a problem? I have tried to get my ZRA in my car without folding down the back and I can do it, but it is PIA and I have yet to do it without honking my horn.

My back is 18", I believe. I do not transfer into a car, couldn't it I wanted.

We are also looking into the ADI solid back for a new chair (probably ZRA). I read some where on this forum to make sure you have a 4” Deep Backrest Rigidizer Bar with enough room for ADI back to avoid the problem of positioning.

A possibility Stephen. I just tried an ADI solid back on my current chair and I didn't like it. I wanted to try a solid back on my current chair prior to any chair order. I may have liked the ADI back more if I could have gotten it lower, but the 2 point pro bracket was running into my rigidizer bar and not allowing me to lower the back past a certain point.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We are also looking into the ADI solid back for a new chair (probably ZRA). I read some where on this forum to make sure you have a 4” Deep Backrest Rigidizer Bar with enough room for ADI back to avoid the problem of positioning.
    True dat.

I have a 18 " backrest it is foldable and adjustable for my quirks when I get into it etc...
    also I like the Folding back feature because I can reach behind me Grab the Strap Pull it and set my angles because I like to have the flexibility ... Pulling the strap releases the 2 pins and off I go

My back is 18", I believe. I do not transfer into a car, couldn't it I wanted.
    Sorry if it was an insensitive question, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Sorry if it was an insensitive question, it wasn't meant to be.
    LOL...Nope, not at all.