Thread: Hip pain - 2.5 years

Hip pain - 2.5 years

Hi ,
    I am a healthy “as far as I know” 26 year old male , have been experiencing hip pain since Feb 2010 “2.5 years”. I saw every doctor there is to see , did surgery cause it was suspected the pain was appendicitis , removed my appendix and realized soon after that the pain was still there , the only other injury I have was some mid back pain 5 years ago from lifting weights incorrectly , otherwise no other problems

Pain started after coming back from a trip to California , I was feeling fine , went to sleep on a really uncomfortable mattress and woke up next day with hip pain , I was working out 5-6 days a week back then , realized when I work out , the pain increases , so I stopped lifting and running , saw some doctors before and after the surgery

Doctors I saw so far :
    orthopedic surgeons “ the one that suspected the acute appendicitis after 6 months of pain”
    chiropractors “did his stuff but didn’t really help, kinda made it worse”
    general doctor internist “referred me to the surgeon”
    doctor of Neurosurgery & Neuroresearch “currently doing pt suspecting nerve damage ”
    physical therapist

did a lot of tests and everything looks normal, the only comment I got from the hip MRI was that it seems that there might be a small lateral tear in both hips , but I only experience pain in my right , and surgery at this point is not an option , lost all trust in surgeons

MRI “BACK/HIP”
    CT SCAN “BACK/HIP”

lately there is this theory that this could be nerve damage , so now doing physical therapy for that , helping a little, but pain still there

pain in front of hip , radiates down the groin , and some time to the lower back of the butt . pain always gets better after a swim

need some help please , am out of options at this point and appreciate any help, what doctors to see next , what to do ?

ps. I started working at a full time desk job march 2008 , don’t know if that is related to the pain. Also I used to be fat in my teens and my posture is not that great , kinda walk funny with feet rotated a little to the right.

thank you

Sounds to me like you're a victum of "diagnosis according to my specialty". You need to find a doctor who can think outside his box, or perhaps investigate on your own.

I'm not a doctor, so take what I say with a whole cup of salt...but...

Pain often "refracts"...meaning it feels like its coming from one area when the problem is actually elsewhere.

A clue that I would suggest you follow up on is that it feels better after a swim. Do your testicles get smaller after a swim? Is it possible that normally one of your testicles is pulling on the "vas deferns" (sp?) on that side?

Could be Hip Bursitis, this can be painful but treatable with proper PT exercises.

Thnx TM , I will mention the bursitis theory to my PT , and see what happenes
    WTC , i will check next time I do swim , i will also ask my doctor and see what he will say

thnx for help