Thread: Eric LeGrand wins Perseverance Award at the ESPYs

Eric LeGrand wins Perseverance Award at the ESPYs

What did you guys think of Eric on stage last night? I have my personal opinions but am curious to see what others thought.

Can't find the full video on youtube but maybe later today.

Edit: here it is
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...award-at-espys
    Last edited by RobMac; 07-12-2012 at 09:31 AM.

I know what you mean. I had the same thoughts.

just some random thoughts;

1) hey! thats cool, great for him

2)but this is a made up award, right? I mean, who were the other candidates? Did they consider any other candidates? We know they did not. Soooo...what is the value of the "award"? Unless, this is a way to get a guy on stage to make him feel better? Orrrrrr (more likely) this is a way for the clapping crowd with poignant respectful faces to feel better about themselves. Orrrr perhaps to make them feel less guilty about secretly being glad it was that kid in the chair and not them? So, was this a way for a group of healthy and successful people to ameliorate their guilt through giving a meaningless golden star to a kid in a chair?

All I know is that I would not want such an award, but I won't judge the kid nor the audience too harshly. It is all human nature to want to do something nice for someone who is screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    just some random thoughts;

1) hey! thats cool, great for him

2)but this is a made up award, right? I mean, who were the other candidates? Did they consider any other candidates? We know they did not. Soooo...what is the value of the "award"? Unless, this is a way to get a guy on stage to make him feel better? Orrrrrr (more likely) this is a way for the clapping crowd with poignant respectful faces to feel better about themselves. Orrrr perhaps to make them feel less guilty about secretly being glad it was that kid in the chair and not them? So, was this a way for a group of healthy and successful people to ameliorate their guilt through giving a meaningless golden star to a kid in a chair?

All I know is that I would not want such an award, but I won't judge the kid nor the audience too harshly. It is all human nature to want to do something nice for someone who is screwed.
    I was about 2 years post and my church had a secret collection taken up to purchase a big ticket (at least for me at the time) low utility item for me when I was 21. While I liked that people cared I had this creepy feeling about it in my gut so I declined it. I think they were slightly offended but I have no regrets and feel like I did the right thing.

That said, I hope Eric gets everything he can out of this life.
    Last edited by Patton57; 07-12-2012 at 12:06 PM.

No, this is not a "made up" award. Obviously you don't know who Jimmy V was.
    You should do a google search before judging someone you know nothing about.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Valvano
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

Valvano, was diagnosed with bone cancer in June 1992. In July, he found out that it had metastasized.

On March 3, 1993, shortly before his death, he spoke at the first ESPY Awards, presented by ESPN. While accepting the inaugural Arthur Ashe Courage and Humanitarian Award, he announced the creation of The V Foundation for Cancer Research, an organization dedicated to finding a cure for cancer. He announced that the Foundation's motto would be "Don't Give Up . . . Don't Ever Give Up." During his speech the teleprompter stated that he had 30 seconds left, to which Valvano responded, "They got that screen up there flashing 30 seconds, like I care about that screen. I got tumors all over my body and I'm worried about some guy in the back going 30 seconds." His speech included this statement:

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Valvano's ESPY acceptance speech became legendary, and he closed by saying, "Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. I thank you and God bless you all."

This award is about courage, grit, determination, and having the spirit to fight on. This is Eric LeGrand.

I am a huge fan of that Valvano speech. I've watched it a bunch of times and I get emotional every time I see it. It really is one of the great acceptance speeches ever. I think there is a place for this award.

That being said, I was just kind of disappointed I guess you could say with what he said. He really didn't offer much other than his story. There were some good pieces in there for sure (the number of people with SCI that you dont even know about), but I can't help but feel that this tremendous platform could have been used better.

I do realize I have to keep in mind that at 2 years post, I may have said something very similar. But all of us that are much further along than that, we know what this injury means long term.

People love this kid, I really hope that he can make the most of it and spread knowledge about the importance of research, activity based therapy, etc. Instead of portraying that with perseverance and hard work we can all get up out of our chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    No, this is not a "made up" award. Obviously you don't know who Jimmy V was.
    You should do a google search before judging someone you know nothing about.
    I didn't judge Jimmy V. I have never heard of him, but thanks for the link. He sounds like a great guy.

So this is an annual award and people compete to receive it? Fair enough. I take back all my ill thought out words.

So how do I get considered for next year's award? What is the application process?

Start riding a handcycle without cheating, haaaa, just kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Start riding a handcycle without cheating, haaaa, just kidding!

Ha....! you got me on that one.....

...trust a motorcycle racer to come up the Power Pod idea....