Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some may chuckle others not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    So....any chance you could get a film crew to follow you around from now on?

Seriously, that was fun to read.

I might suggest some frame protectors for the bike that are long enough to give your legs plenty of room not to be trapped. You might look into some decent padding/protection for your hip, knees and thighs.

Finally, you have all my respect!
    Maybe not a crew, but I have been thinking about getting a gopro camera...

And I do have some good armored riding pants, I just didn't happen to have them on because of the 100+ degree weather, and because I was only doing a leisurely ride. I always gear up when I am going to be doing anything where there is a good chance that I might go down, but just a short trip on the highway wasn't supposed to be one of those times. Otherwise I would definitely rather sweat than bleed, so...
    Last edited by nauticalmike; 07-15-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    There's an old adage about being warned three times with the third being the wakeup call. You fell more than three times and got bitten.

I'm really glad you're writing this stuff down, I see a book and movie coming out. You really laid the story out graphically. Like My, I'm sittin' on the edge of my seat wondering if you rode the bike home.

I'm really sorry to hear you're laid up Mike. For me, it's a story I'll tell when asked about the tenacity it takes post injury.

Heal quickly my friend.
    You are correct about the three's and warnings, however I didn't get hurt until I had already admitted defeat temporarily and was just going to ride my bike back home so I could put her back in my garage until my legs were feeling stronger. Another thing that I didn't mention in my first post was that I had been using crutches instead of my chair for everything I did and therefore had been on my feet for the whole week prior to this incident and that had left my legs feeling considerably weaker than normal. It also made my reaction time when trying to move them quite a bit slower than it normally is. I think that both of those facts were at least partially responsible for my inability to hold her up.

i used to ride bikes Mike
    Had a yamaha rd 250 and a couple of scramblers the Honda Xl was my favorite.
    Another injury due to bike riding is not on the cards for me so please do take care.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Mike, please don't ride again until you get some landing gear on your bike. Your adventures are a funny read but seriously some old codger like myself w failing reflexes is likely to run you over when you lay the bike down on the road. Your current riding seems like a thinly veiled suicide attempt.
    No definitely not a suicide attempt, if I ever decide to go that route, I picked out a great big tree a long time ago over on Lakeville Highway in Petaluma that I will ride us into at 150+MPH. It always amazes me how many people think that because I made one mistake and paid dearly for it that I should live the rest of my life in fear of riding rather than embracing it as a learning experience. I know why I crashed the first time that caused my SCi, and I will not make that mistake again. I also have learned that my legs were not strong enough to keep myself upright this last time. I figured that out before I got hurt, and learned from it, and wasn't going to repeat that mistake again, once I got back home. If I had made it out of the driveway I would have had no problem with getting her back home and into my garage. And once home I would't have termed to ride again until my legs were stronger and more capable of keeping my bike upright. I am anything but suicidal because I have a 10 year old daughter that still needs me...

I guess that not only are the reflexes in my legs messed up from the serve damage,but that my bones also must not be as strong as they were before, because I've taken much worse falls prior to my injury that didn't even leave a bruise. So I am now forced to reconsider my decision to ride again and although my desire to ride again is very strong my fear of suffering a much more severe injury is also a consideration. I am not afraid of death,but I am now very afraid of living if I crash again. I believed my legs were strong enough to ride, but I was wrong. I guess that my decision to try to ride again after my hip heals will be something that I will have to seriously think about later.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    I guess that not only are the reflexes in my legs messed up from the serve damage,but that my bones also must not be as strong as they were before, because I've taken much worse falls prior to my injury that didn't even leave a bruise. So I am now forced to reconsider my decision to ride again and although my desire to ride again is very strong my fear of suffering a much more severe injury is also a consideration. I am not afraid of death,but I am now very afraid of living if I crash again. I believed my legs were strong enough to ride, but I was wrong. I guess that my decision to try to ride again after my hip heals will be something that I will have to seriously think about later.
    I miss riding as well (although as a complete I have fewer options) I have been thinking about getting one of these: http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/home.aspx

T8 I didn't know you were a motorcycle guy. There seem to be a lot of us. First year I started using a chair I still went to the annual motorcycle show at The Cow Palace. I didn't think about it beforehand but my appearance with the chair did seem to make people nervous. At the time I thought it was kind of funny. I think I'm finally over motorcycles which is saying a lot. I was obsessed most of my life and did some crazy things. Just before I gave up riding I was starting to do rear wheel steering and I was going it on public streets. I apologize to the public, I was young and quite stupid. :-)

So I saw the orthopedist today and my hip has shifted since they did the surgery and so now I will need to go back and get an artificial hip installed. So much for the original 4 -6 more weeks to heal...

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    T8 I didn't know you were a motorcycle guy. There seem to be a lot of us. First year I started using a chair I still went to the annual motorcycle show at The Cow Palace. I didn't think about it beforehand but my appearance with the chair did seem to make people nervous. At the time I thought it was kind of funny. I think I'm finally over motorcycles which is saying a lot. I was obsessed most of my life and did some crazy things. Just before I gave up riding I was starting to do rear wheel steering and I was going it on public streets. I apologize to the public, I was young and quite stupid. :-)
    I used to race in the AFM Open superbike class (I had a RC-51). When I had my accident, I had to sell a RC-51, a GSXR750, CBR1100XX and a 1300 VTX. Riding was my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I miss riding as well (although as a complete I have fewer options) I have been thinking about getting one of these: http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/home.aspx
    Others have suggested those to me as well, but for me riding means a two wheeled sports bike with enough horsepower between your legs to get out of the way of an idiot quickly if necessary. And having the freedom to minimize traffic delays. One of most fun activities for me and why I enjoyed riding was splitting lanes to get through traffic congestion and the commuter traffic that often can add hours to a trip if you are in a car pretty much all over the Bay Area.