Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are "portable" car hand controls covered by your car insurance?

Are "portable" car hand controls covered by your car insurance?

Say, If you have a car accident with them installed ( and you installed them) will your insurance company call "foul"? Also, for people who have some, how long are they reliable per installation?. Also... Is it legal to rent a car and then install your own to operate it. Thanks for any answers...
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

Quote Originally Posted by barondidit View Post
    Also, for people who have some, how long are they reliable per installation?. ...
    I have been driving with a set of PHC II portables for about 10 years now and have traded cars a few times during that time. Right now they are installed on my brand new Silverado 4X4.

I just check them periodically to make sure they are tight and not trying to slip off the pedals.

Yes, you can put them on a rental car

Interesting question. You could always ask your insurance agent and find out. I guess it depends on what caused the accident, and I'd be more concern about the other driver's insurance company. The only rental car I used had hand controls installed by the rental company.

Now that I think about it, from a legality standpoint, how would this be any different than changing your own tires/wheels? Once you buy a car, the modifications you can do to it is ALMOST limitless. Am I wrong?

Better off just not saying anything if you were involved in a accident, knowing insurance companies I'm sure if you gave out any extra information on your own they'd figure out a way to get out of the coverage. I've been driving with PHC's for over 8 years and no problems at all. I have a friend who uses them full time in his truck and is happy with them. I just use them for rentals and use suregrips for my permanent installed hand controls.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

FYI, I was not in an accident, just curious. I was thinking of getting a set of portables to drive my girlfriends car (which I am now insured to drive) because it would be cheaper than buying another "real" set and MUCH cheaper to install. As far as an accident in your own car with hand controls that you installed, I was just wondering if the accident would be considered your fault if they failed for some reason. As far as the rental car question, It would just make it A LOT easier (faster) to rent a car. Usually I have to wait a few days to a week to get a car that has the controls already installed plus Its harder to pick the car that I want to rent. I guess these are questions that I should ask the insurance company, just checking to see what others experiences are. Thanks for the input so far. If anyone has anything else to add, please do. Thanks
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

Quote Originally Posted by barondidit View Post
    As far as an accident in your own car with hand controls that you installed, I was just wondering if the accident would be considered your fault if they failed for some reason.
    who else could be at fault?

If you were involved in a serious accident, your insurance company could ask if you were certified. When I got my van modified,the insurance would only add the $22,000 of modifications if I were certified. Vocational Rehabilitation helped out by sending me to Warm Springs, Ga. for the training. Everything went well and I passed my state driving test. Now if something happens, my van and modifications are completely covered.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

If you put them on properly they are not going to "fail" inspect them periodicaly to make sure they are in good working order. I have been using them for 9 yrs now and we now only have one car so I put them on every time I drive and no problems. Only had one time that the hc slipped off the brake and that was because I took a phone call while I was putting them on an got distracted. I did not have an accident but a short wild ride that was kind of scary and afterwards pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    If you put them on properly they are not going to "fail" inspect them periodicaly to make sure they are in good working order.
    Are you saying there's no way it can fail by way of design or manufacturing? The risk is always there.