Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else donate plasma?

Anyone else donate plasma?

My partner started donating blood plasma at Biolife and I thought I would give it a try too. I don't get to help other people very much and have gotten plenty of help from others since being injured. I thought it would be nice to give back plus you get reimbursed for your time/donation.

After going through the paperwork I got approved and have donated a few times. I have been the only one in a wheelchair to do so in the history of this location. Has anyone else done it or wanted to? The transfers can be challenging!
    Andrew

Yep, I have been doing it for over a year now. Usually would go twice a week. Think I'm the only one in a chair at this one too. Haven't went for a few weeks now that my truck has been broke down, kinda miss my $50/week beer money..lol
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Blog Entries
    Can't imagine anyone wanting mine.

I'm not allowed, it is illegal. I'm gay.
    Last edited by Ben Rolfe; 09-18-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulScream View Post
    My partner started donating blood plasma at Biolife and I thought I would give it a try too. I don't get to help other people very much and have gotten plenty of help from others since being injured. I thought it would be nice to give back plus you get reimbursed for your time/donation.

After going through the paperwork I got approved and have donated a few times. I have been the only one in a wheelchair to do so in the history of this location. Has anyone else done it or wanted to? The transfers can be challenging!
    I take medications so I've always figured they couldn't use my blood.

I have been poked and proaded pleanty for a life time since getting this damn injury. maybe one day I will but I hate getting blood drawn

Quote Originally Posted by RSieck View Post
    Yep, I have been doing it for over a year now. Usually would go twice a week. Think I'm the only one in a chair at this one too. Haven't went for a few weeks now that my truck has been broke down, kinda miss my $50/week beer money..lol
    How do you do the transfer off the bench when done? That is the toughest one for me. It's like trying to get out of a bean bag! The problem I have is sitting up. The bed is curved! The weigh scale chair is easy enough, and getting on the donation bench isn't to bad.
    Andrew

The refusal of blood products from homosexuals is so outdated! Its so infuriating. They're about 20 years behind!

I tried, and could really use the money. But they won't take me due to my heart problems. As far as medications go, it depends on what medications. For blood and plasma they have a list of meds they turn people down for. But just being on meds won't rule you out
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Is there a low weight limit like for giving blood? I think you have to be 110lbs to donate blood.
    E

My blood is tainted from childhood illnesses.