Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total and Permanent vs Unemployable

Total and Permanent vs Unemployable

So I have been determined 100% service connected, Total and Permanent.

Does that also mean I am unemployable? I am in a chair, but able to hold a job. Does unemployable literally mean unemployable?

I was speaking to a loan officer on one of my student loans. She said that I could have the loan dismissed if I sent in my Total and Permanent letter from the VA. Does this sound right to you?

There is a difference between being 100% permanent and total (P&T)and permanent and total with Individual Unemployability (IU).

===I.U.
    With Unemployability you are paid at the 100% level (like a differential of sorts) because the financial difference between your actual level of disability prescribed by the VA (70%, or 50% or whatever) is made up by giving you unemployability status. Meaning you cannot work if you are getting unemployability (or you will lose the money differential) and the VA thinks it is not possible or feasible or in your best interests for you to perform a job at this time.

A lot of vets have difficulty with this because they are used to giving their all and to accept unemployability is considered by some to be resignation. Not something easy for vets to accept at all. If this is you, you might consider seeing a social worker or counselor to help you adjust or make a realistic plan for your return to work. I personally struggled with this decision for two years not wanting to accept that I realistically could not hold a job.

===P&T

If you are a straight 70% (P&T or not) as awarded by the VA, you are paid at the 70% rate. If you are granted unemployability, you are paid at the 100% rate which is currently 2769.00 per month. You can be subject to periodic review at any time and have your rate either raised or reduced as your condition fluctuates and indeed these exams are scheduled to occur about every two to three years.

If you are 100% Permanent and total (you can be 70% P&T, or 80% P&T. or even 10% P&T) you get paid at the 100%rate, or the rate that is assigned to your level of disability if you have a single qualifying rating of 40% or a combined rating of 60% and you are not subject to the periodic review that the unemployability recipients are. This is not to say that you will never be reviewed, just that they don't schedule them as they do for the IU vets. You can return to work and still collect that money paid to you for your P&T disability unless it is being paid to you only for a mental disability at the 100% rate.

===Student loans:
    If you have been rated 100% EITHER by way of P&T or IU (but not a temporary 100% given in special circumstances) you can apply to have your student loans that were taken out BEFORE your 100% rating discharged. In fact, any money that you have paid them since your 100% rating came into effect will be refunded to you as long as you have not paid them off already.

This only applies to loans taken out before you were rated 100%. It also applies to any PLUS loans that you have taken out for the benefit of your children. I always recommend that vets send in any document copies by certified mail return receipt requested. That way they cannot easily "lose" them if you know what I mean.

You will need this form (OMB No. 1845-0065) and if yu read it carefully you will see that you do NOT need a doctors signature or anything like that that other people do. A lot of the form ends up being blank when vets fill it out lol. All you need to do is fill out ONLY the sections that are required, attach a copy of your benefits letter stating you are either 100% or 100% through IU and mail it to the address on the form certified mail, return receipt requested.

If you have any other questions I am happy to help you or if you just need clarification on a point, just ask.

Also; DO NOT FORGET TO APPLY FOR SSDI IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED. YOU CAN COLLECT SSDI AND VETERAN BENEFITS SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH NO OFFSET FOR EITHER PAYMENT AND THE MONIES ARE TAX FREE. This can be different if you have a spouse that works and brings in more than the permissible amount. But that is for another discussion.
    Last edited by skippy13; 07-10-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: forgot sumpin'
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Also, don't forget about Aide & Attendance benefits. Many SCI veterans also qualify for this benefit.

(KLD)

I get the aid and attendance benefit. I was surprised to hear about the student loan thing. I doubt they will be dismissed. It's for only people qualifying for individual unemployability.

Many states (Iowa for example) have programs thru their Vocational Rehab departments whose mandate is to "keep productive people working". You might contact them...

Voc Rehab

I'm a teacher, I went to my voc rehab, because I have not been able to keep up with my job for a couple reasons. Right now I just have a my Bachelors Degree, but in time teachers will be required to have a Masters Degree. I wanted to go back to school to get my Masters and try to get a better, less taxing job. I was told that since I have a job, I am considered rehabilitated.

I too am still working. The Iowa program has options that are intended to keep me working. I'm also "rehabbed", but they did partialy pay for my ramp van and shower remodel...things that would let me continue to work.

Quote Originally Posted by NHsciGuy View Post
    I'm a teacher, I went to my voc rehab, because I have not been able to keep up with my job for a couple reasons. Right now I just have a my Bachelors Degree, but in time teachers will be required to have a Masters Degree. I wanted to go back to school to get my Masters and try to get a better, less taxing job. I was told that since I have a job, I am considered rehabilitated.
    They tried this with me. I appealed and had to show that I was more employable with a Masters degree and that I had a chance of losing my job without it. It took a year of complaining and emailing and annoying people but they paid.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

hmmm. i guess i will look into this.

VA voc rehab people are right as of this very moment giving me hassles. I need a little more time to get some things together for my program and they want to put my case in suspense. I waited for a year for them to finally get back to me and they expect me to get months of work together for them by the end of the week.

This from the person who stood me up for my home visit.

This from the person who won't return phone calls.

This from the person who wouldn't do anything until I threatened to write to the head of the VA ILP.

Voc rehab/ILP is like pulling teeth. Good luck with them. They are a bunch of...
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess