Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Help with order form

  1. #11
    Whoa! Let's slow things down a bit.

    I do this for a living and in the 6 years I have been posting here, not once have I rattled off specs based on anthropomorphic measurements alone.

    The only thing the measurements on that diagram will allow you to spec accurately is a chair in your dining room. Unless you sit 90/90/90 (and nobody does), measurements alone have no meaning. In fact, I don't even know what my own measurements are.

    I would start by determining the specs of your current chair, decide what should be different, and go from there.


  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Whoa! Let's slow things down a bit.

    I do this for a living and in the 6 years I have been posting here, not once have I rattled off specs based on anthropomorphic measurements alone.

    The only thing the measurements on that diagram will allow you to spec accurately is a chair in your dining room. Unless you sit 90/90/90 (and nobody does), measurements alone have no meaning. In fact, I don't even know what my own measurements are.

    I would start by determining the specs of your current chair, decide what should be different, and go from there.
    My current chair doesn't have too many specs available..I attached all the information I could find from sunrisemedical.

    I use a Jay-2 gel cushion and a Jay-2 hard back which I do not like. Im looking into a shorter soft back. Also as mentioned above I might get a rigid seatplate as well. It says my chair has a 70 degree Frame Angle.

    The 2 main problems I have with my chair is the Center of Gravity and the issue where my legs are not resting correctly on the footrest (they have too much room so they slide off and I have to adjust them every few minutes)

  3. #13
    SCI_OTR is the pro here. Heed his advice.

    Don't be in a hurry to order a chair. It's a long term investment, and takes multiple passes at measurements to fine tune them before you order.

    I spent many years in construction (measuring, cutting, assembling) and then (after graduating from college) spent many more years as a consulting engineer (preparing documents from which others measured, cut, assembled). I forget sometimes how many subtleties go in to making something fit and work properly because they come so easy for me. My responses are not casual, but very thought out and cautiously offered. Please don't jump ahead, and presume I'm done sizing before I absolutely have finished. I have lots more questions.

    That said . . .

    At 5'7" and 190#, your seat width (Ga=19) does seem wide. I'm 5'8" and 205, and my seat is plenty wide at 17; I'm considering getting 16 on my next chair. Are you sure those measurements are 'you' and not what the tech thought you needed.? Old-school techs add 2" to your actual width cuz that's what they were taught, but an added 2" is detrimental. But, if that's you, then it's fine.

    After examining your measurements again, I noticed we are very differently proportioned although about the same height. My experience includes only specifying my own chair, which I did by measuring myself. I have short legs and a long torso; you have long legs and a short torso. MY C+D=33; my A=35 for a height of 68". Your C+D=37; A=29.5 for a height of 66.5". I wear a 32-33" dress sleeve. Not knowing your arm length, I have no clue what your RSH should be unless you provide some more measurements.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  4. #14
    PS: I am glad you are considering an adjustable chair (i.e., ZRA).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  5. #15
    After even further inspection of your measurements, I am curious.

    Comparing E=20 and F=18, are your upper arms actually only 1" thick? [(20-18)/2]. Maybe the techs measure much differently than I am expecting. That would add significant reinforcement to SCI_OTR's word of caution about exclusively using anthropomorphic measurements to size a chair.

    One thing I learned in the construction field is, if one person is measuring and another is cutting, the two people must be thinking exactly the same or things won't fit. I had forgotten that - I assumed the tech who took your measurements took them the same way I would - that's a poor assumption, and gives even more support to SCI_OTR's caution (not to mention the impetus for an adjustable chair).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    SCI_OTR is the pro here. Heed his advice.

    Don't be in a hurry to order a chair. It's a long term investment, and takes multiple passes at measurements to fine tune them before you order.

    I spent many years in construction (measuring, cutting, assembling) and then (after graduating from college) spent many more years as a consulting engineer (preparing documents from which others measured, cut, assembled). I forget sometimes how many subtleties go in to making something fit and work properly because they come so easy for me. My responses are not casual, but very thought out and cautiously offered. Please don't jump ahead, and presume I'm done sizing before I absolutely have finished. I have lots more questions.

    That said . . .

    At 5'7" and 190#, your seat width (Ga=19) does seem wide. I'm 5'8" and 205, and my seat is plenty wide at 17; I'm considering getting 16 on my next chair. Are you sure those measurements are 'you' and not what the tech thought you needed.? Old-school techs add 2" to your actual width cuz that's what they were taught, but an added 2" is detrimental. But, if that's you, then it's fine.

    After examining your measurements again, I noticed we are very differently proportioned although about the same height. My experience includes only specifying my own chair, which I did by measuring myself. I have short legs and a long torso; you have long legs and a short torso. MY C+D=33; my A=35 for a height of 68". Your C+D=37; A=29.5 for a height of 66.5". I wear a 32-33" dress sleeve. Not knowing your arm length, I have no clue what your RSH should be unless you provide some more measurements.
    I understand it may take some time to get the right measurements but my current chair is falling apart. In terms of arm length, My arm length is pretty long. I wear 32" dress shirts as well just so the cuff isnt going up my wrist. The tech who took these measurements was looking to fit me in a Q7 (which is said I didnt want after using the demo).

  7. #17
    I am still eager to help you pick a chair . . .

    Please don't order one yet.

    We left off needing more info about your arm length, and confirming your hip width. If you'll provide those, I will continue if you wish.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  8. #18
    Oh good. You responded. Let me figure a bit.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    After even further inspection of your measurements, I am curious.

    Comparing E=20 and F=18, are your upper arms actually only 1" thick? [(20-18)/2]. Maybe the techs measure much differently than I am expecting. That would add significant reinforcement to SCI_OTR's word of caution about exclusively using anthropomorphic measurements to size a chair.

    One thing I learned in the construction field is, if one person is measuring and another is cutting, the two people must be thinking exactly the same or things won't fit. I had forgotten that - I assumed the tech who took your measurements took them the same way I would - that's a poor assumption, and gives even more support to SCI_OTR's caution (not to mention the impetus for an adjustable chair).
    I got these measurements done at a wheelchair distributor in my area. There arent too many that are willing to deal with me because im paying out of pocket. These are the only measurements he took and he was ready to place an order for a chair if i signed off on it...where else should I go to get a second opinion?

  10. #20
    OH man,99% of the DME's don't know squat about measuring out a chair. Seems like this guy is one of them. A 5'7" person should in no way use an 18 1/2 " length seat. The only way you got away with such a long seat is because of the 70o front end.

    Holy moly, I'm glad you have Chas and SCI here. Being a T/12 you want the smallest imprint of a chair as possible. The reason you can't move the old one is because it is soooo long and unwieldly.

    Are you an active person or more sedentary. Makes a difference on how a chair is measured and setup.

    You'll notice a big big difference with a chair that is setup for a T/12 5'7" person over the one you have now. Let's get it right, won't take long. Do you want a hot rod or a cruiser?

Similar Threads

  1. zr order form
    By wheelin 48 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM
  2. melrose order form
    By feabud in forum Equipment
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 04:59 PM
  3. tilite order form
    By feabud in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
  4. ZRA order form questions.
    By Jimmy D. in forum Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 10:54 AM
  5. TiLite ZR Order Form
    By jimnms in forum Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 06:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •