Thread: Handcycle Attachment under $1,000?

Handcycle Attachment under $1,000?

I wrote a post regarding this some months back, but forgot to follow up on some things back then, so here I am again.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a handcycle attachment (repeat, not a regular handcycle, but a handcycle attachment) for under $1,000? It's my understanding that Rio Mobility's Dragonfly is the only one left on the market, but its cost of approximately $1,200 is out of my range.

I am NOT willing to consider a regular handcycle; since I can't imagine I'd be able to take my chair with me while riding a regular handcycle, not to mention I'd be carrying the weight of both the handcycle and the chair. Thus, it doesn't seem it'd be useful for practical transportation, as I like to mix my transportation with exercise when possible. Kills two birds with one stone, leaves more time to do other things.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
    I wrote a post regarding this some months back, but forgot to follow up on some things back then, so here I am again.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a handcycle attachment (repeat, not a regular handcycle, but a handcycle attachment) for under $1,000? It's my understanding that Rio Mobility's Dragonfly is the only one left on the market, but its cost of approximately $1,200 is out of my range.

I am NOT willing to consider a regular handcycle; since I can't imagine I'd be able to take my chair with me while riding a regular handcycle, not to mention I'd be carrying the weight of both the handcycle and the chair. Thus, it doesn't seem it'd be useful for practical transportation, as I like to mix my transportation with exercise when possible. Kills two birds with one stone, leaves more time to do other things.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    You would have to keep a close eye on ebay and craigslist to find one for the price you are looking to spend. I have seen a couple in the last 6 months they are used but for the price you want to get one for that is what you would have to do is buy a used one. You can search all of craigslist by going to allofcraigslist.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post

Thanks!
    So a mere $200 puts that out of your range??? Seems like a great solution to me and worth the extra $200....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    So a mere $200 puts that out of your range??? Seems like a great solution to me and worth the extra $200....
    Well, I guess the reason I listed $1,000 and under is because it stands out more easily as a 4-digit number. In reality, I'd say it's really under $800 that is my range, so sorry for any confusion on that.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    You would have to keep a close eye on ebay and craigslist to find one for the price you are looking to spend. I have seen a couple in the last 6 months they are used but for the price you want to get one for that is what you would have to do is buy a used one. You can search all of craigslist by going to allofcraigslist.com
    Thanks DJ! Didn't know you could search all of Craigslist like that.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/3121304894.html
    I have no idea how these are but I use my attachment more than my handcycle, mine is no longer made, cyclone by sunrise medical an older model with 24 gears and a two speed hub....

If that's too difficult to find in your price range what about taking one of the upright type handcycles (like the quickie mach 2 though I'm sure there are others). I have a regular racing handcycle and also a mach 2 and I frequently take the mach 2 into buildings like grocery stores or theme parks and whatnot. It's not always a great fit for those places and obviously you need to use some judgment (i.e. push it like a wheelchair in crowded or tight places, understand that some places will consider it a 'bike' and not allow it), but for a lot of situations it can sort of kill two birds with one stone. It doesn't look like there are currently any of those under $800 on craigslist but I've seen them pop up for $500 from time to time.

Edit to add - I know you said only attachments, but if you've got the regular wheelchair and the attachment that's basically the same size/length as the upright type handcycles so I thought it might be a possibility worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/3121304894.html
    I have no idea how these are but I use my attachment more than my handcycle, mine is no longer made, cyclone by sunrise medical an older model with 24 gears and a two speed hub....
    Thank you, DJ!