Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ordering new chair

ordering new chair

I'm trying to figure out the specs for a new tilite. I had planned on using my existing specs on my zra and order the zr, but I think when I added my ADI backrest to my existing chair, it made it more tippy. My zra's back angle is set at 92 degrees. When I look at the backrest I notice the back tends to lean back (not a lot,) but to me its not as straight as I'd like. So should I order a 90 degree angle and then my backrest will be perfect even with that little lean in the adi - right? Also my cog is at 2.5, isn't that already set to where the chair will be less tippy? Or can I move it to something else to make it less tippy? TIA

look at the tr. from one crazy quad to another its lighter tossing in/out of the car.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Not knowing details . . . my guess is the ADI backrest weighs a bit more than your previous backrest; adding weight behind your COG will make a chair tippier. Changing the backrest angle 2 degrees may not affect the tippiness much; you may want to move your axle back a bit (i.e. reduce your COG 1/2" or so).

Both the ZR and TR are available with adjustable backrests; so you can order it with a 90 then change it if you like. Both chairs also have adjustable COGs (although the ZR's COG adjustment range is relatively small); so you can adjust that, too.

When changing from a ZRA to either a ZR or TR, be sure your RSH and FSH are right because you cannot adjust those on a ZR or TR.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

The ADI backrests typically shorten the seat depth by an inch or so, which would make the chair LESS tippy. I wonder how taut your fabric back upholstery was before you replaced it.

The TR is considered TiLite's best performing (most responsive) chair and is probably an easier push than the ZR (the box frame vs. cantilever designed debate). Since you can more precisely dial in the CoG adjustment on the TR, I think you would be wise to consider it.

If you don't already have the CAD drawing for your ZRa, I believe you can request a copy of it even years after purchase (though you may get charged for it). You should contact TiLite customer service and see if it's available (be sure to have the serial number of your chair first, which is located on the sticker affixed to the underseat cross tube). It might be helpful to have it as a reference for specing your next chair.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the specs for a new tilite. I had planned on using my existing specs on my zra and order the zr, but I think when I added my ADI backrest to my existing chair, it made it more tippy. My zra's back angle is set at 92 degrees. When I look at the backrest I notice the back tends to lean back (not a lot,) but to me its not as straight as I'd like. So should I order a 90 degree angle and then my backrest will be perfect even with that little lean in the adi - right? Also my cog is at 2.5, isn't that already set to where the chair will be less tippy? Or can I move it to something else to make it less tippy? TIA
    I was using my old Halls chair today and when I transferred back into my ZR2 I definitely noticed the difference in ease of push between the two. The Halls is still the champ and this was just while tooling around my apartment. They both have Frog Leg Unitines and 4" soft roll casters; both have carbon fiber seat pans and back rests, both have Round Betty Dinos and Surelock locking hubs. The difference, I'm left to believe, is between a box-frame-style chair and a cantilever-style chair. Though I'm partial to the minimal appearance of the ZR2 over the TR3, if I were buying a new TiLite I would likely lean toward the new TR3. TiLite promotes it as their very best chair (it costs the same as the ZR); it's likely your best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The ADI backrests typically shorten the seat depth by an inch or so, which would make the chair LESS tippy. I wonder how taut your fabric back upholstery was before you replaced it.

The TR is considered TiLite's best performing (most responsive) chair and is probably an easier push than the ZR (the box frame vs. cantilever designed debate). Since you can more precisely dial in the CoG adjustment on the TR, I think you would be wise to consider it.

If you don't already have the CAD drawing for your ZRa, I believe you can request a copy of it even years after purchase (though you may get charged for it). You should contact TiLite customer service and see if it's available (be sure to have the serial number of your chair first, which is located on the sticker affixed to the underseat cross tube). It might be helpful to have it as a reference for specing your next chair.
    What's box and what's cantilever? Which one do I have now if I have a zra. I'm all for a lighter chair.

What's box and what's cantilever? Which one do I have now if I have a zra. I'm all for a lighter chair.
    Oy! It's back to Wheelchair 101 for you.

The ZR/ZRA is an L-shaped or cantilever design. The TR (and any chair with under rail tubing) is a box frame.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Oy! It's back to Wheelchair 101 for you.

The ZR/ZRA is an L-shaped or cantilever design. The TR (and any chair with under rail tubing) is a box frame.
    Gotcha Stephen - thanks! I wonder if the TR would give me problems putting in my car. Thanks you guys I'm going to look at the TR.

Gotcha Stephen - thanks! I wonder if the TR would give me problems putting in my car. Thanks you guys I'm going to look at the TR.
    no. mine has a welded back, i drag the entire frame over me to back seat, im hella bigger than you.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I wonder if the TR would give me problems putting in my car.
    I have a TR and I put the wheels in the back seat and the chair in the front passenger seat by way of going between me and the steeringwheel. I drive a 3 series seden and it's not bad at all putting my chair in, but then again I'm a para so things may be a little different.

Good Luck,
    Matt
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3