Thread: Significant amount of blood in urine

Significant amount of blood in urine

My husband had a stroke in 2007 and has a voiding retention problem. After years of struggling with UTI's I am now cathing him 4 times per day with a Rochester Magic 3, antibacterial, closed system and he is on a daily dosage of Macrodantin. He has gone for about 4.5 months without a UTI! Yesterday, went I cathed him, his bag filled with dark, think blood. I am talking about a lot of blood. It did not appear to me to be diluted with urine---this went on for about 4 or 5 minutes (almost 100 units). I called his urologist who suggested that we go to the hospital and have his bladder irrigated. So off we went---when they inserted the cath in the hospital, they were able to drain about 850 units of urine with only a tinge of blood, so they did not irrigate. They sent us home. About an hour later, my husband's body became very rigid and he began to shake and tremble very violantly (he has a history of seizures---but this did not look like a seizure). His blood pressure fell and his heart rate spiked. I called the ER doctor back and he said to come back to the hospital. When we got there, the original doc was gone and the new doctor did not know why we were there. He did not even want to do a UA. I insisted and asked for a blood culture, also. (Hubby has a history of recurrent endocarditas--6 items and has an artifical heart valve.) So then they sent us home again. When we got home his temperature was 102.4, he all of his clothes were dripping wet, his skin was cold and clammy, his BP was low and HR very high. We had a very long night--but I was able to get his temp to break about 3 AM (lots of fluids, water and gatoraide, and acetaminophen) and his BP and HR are now okay. I think he may have been dehydrated-----which I can handle---but what happened to cause the blood?

I had a raging uti once that had me peeing blood like you said, and it totaled about 1000cc and I was feverish and shaky. The ER Doc put me on antibiotics right away, and called next day to change med when the culture came back. Sure sounds like a uti to me hope they get him healed quickly.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Whenever you are doing intermittent catheterization, there is the possibility of gouging the wall of the urethra creating a false passage. This kind of trauma can cause urethral bleeding, undiluted with urine.

Touch base with your husband's urologist and let him know about the problems you had this weekend. He may want to do a cystoscopy. If he finds a false passage, he may suggest that your husband wear an indwelling urethral foley catheter for a couple of weeks until it heals. After that, if might be a good idea to use a coude tip catheter that is less likely to cause urethral trauma than a straight catheter.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Whenever you are doing intermittent catheterization, there is the possibility of gouging the wall of the urethra creating a false passage. This kind of trauma can cause urethral bleeding, undiluted with urine.

Touch base with your husband's urologist and let him know about the problems you had this weekend. He may want to do a cystoscopy. If he finds a false passage, he may suggest that your husband wear an indwelling urethral foley catheter for a couple of weeks until it heals. After that, if might be a good idea to use a coude tip catheter that is less likely to cause urethral trauma than a straight catheter.

All the best,
    GJ
    Good advice from GJ. I would insist on a cystoscopy to check for bladder stones. Hope your husband feels better.

It is true that in the interior lining of the bladder could have been traumatized with cathing. I am so sorry that your husband was so ill. How frightening for you. Yes follow-up with the urologist as soon as possible. A cystoscopy will give you a view of the interior bladder lining and urethra.

pbr