Thread: Thick layer of skin coming off fingers and toes

Exclamation Thick layer of skin coming off fingers and toes

Recently I noticed my sons hands were peeling but not the normal peeling. His hands aren't dry and his skin is rubbery like its not dead skin. It is also very thick. Now his toes doing the same thing. They haven't actually started peeling yet but his whole toe is sorta white like all the skin is lose around it and not connected to it but still on his toes right now. I have no idea what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by AlisonG View Post
    Recently I noticed my sons hands were peeling but not the normal peeling. His hands aren't dry and his skin is rubbery like its not dead skin. It is also very thick. Now his toes doing the same thing. They haven't actually started peeling yet but his whole toe is sorta white like all the skin is lose around it and not connected to it but still on his toes right now. I have no idea what's going on?
    Hi Alison,

How recent is his injury and what is his level. I am a para and went through something similar a couple months after I was injured on my feet. It passed, and I think it was just my body adjusting to a new normal.

Micro-capilliaries of the skin may not be hydrating as much as when someone walks? Only guessing. I would keep them clean with soap and water and moisturized.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I would seek medical care as soon as possible. Your son will need a work-up to determine the cause. It could be an allergic reaction to medications, infections, etc

Does he have any other symptoms? Has he been ill?

pbr

Hit your doctor first thing in the morning because you don't list his level or when injured it could be an allergic reaction or worse to a drug he's on or just losing his callouses from lack of walking.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

The same thing happened to me while I was in the ICU. I think it was because my hands were heavily calloused from construction work.

This happened to my son when he was newly injured and in the hospital. It was mostly on his feet. I spent every day rubbing and getting thendead skin off. One of the nurses told me it was because he wasn't bathing normally so there was no way to get the dead skin cells off and they built up. Sounds stupid, but in a way it made sense. Once I removed all the dead stuff, his skin became normal again. It's a very weird condition, but I would definitely ask his doctors.

when my hands and feet peeled and swelled, it was a combination candida/staph infection. My mouth was sore too. I did not know what it was and let it go until I was very very ill.
    Go to the Dr asap.

My feet and hands had large chunks of skin falling off of them to, mostly callest that was built up on my hands and feet from using them before I got hurt. After I got hurt and I wasn't walking around or using my hands so much all of that dead skin that was there just fell off
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.