Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: God I hate 650x23c handcycle wheels

i had my 1st tubular go training saturday. i hit a hole think i ruined my front carbon corima......ughh nvmx, im waiting to hear on if the wheel is shot.
    as far as clinchers ive had zero issues with the ultremo zx, im running schwalbe heavy rim tape too. i run those on my training wheels, american classics.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i had my 1st tubular go training saturday. i hit a hole think i ruined my front carbon corima......ughh nvmx, im waiting to hear on if the wheel is shot.
    as far as clinchers ive had zero issues with the ultremo zx, im running schwalbe heavy rim tape too. i run those on my training wheels, american classics.
    I don`t like carbon wheels because that, they are cooler,but too much money for me to leave it in a hole, that happened to me too, and my aluminium Mavic rim(sides) get bend a bit, but just giving heat and with a pliers a put the rims like new again.

I didn`t have a flat since around 1200 milles, at first with the ultremo i had two flats in a week, since that i bought continental GP4000, but after a few weeks i put in the front wheel an ultremo again for see difference between them, i didn`t have any flat since that and i wear a ultremo in front wheel and continental in my back wheels, what i can see is that continental are going to be much durable.
    So probably my two flats in a week with the ultremos was just bad luck, i hope don`t have any today lol.

Great article ToTo. I like the 650c wheel size, just hate the small selection of suitable tires because of the narrow clearance between top of tire and fork.

With my wire wheels, I can ride a flat home with very little damage to the rim; I may get a few small dents but no big deal. With the Carbon fibre, a person has to stop NOW or the rim is ruined. Considering my Nimble Spyders and Mavic front wheel have such a narrow dish and the hubs are the same one they use on their Crosswind carbon wheels, I found very little if any, difference.

I'm using the Ultremo ZX's again but put a tire liner in the front wheel with only 100 lbs of pressure. So far so good. I go thru spurts like that to ToTo; 2 or three flats in a month and then none for a long time. Trustfully the liner will help with that. Sure would like to find a good 650c road tire that could stand up to the rural roads I ride on but with the fork clearance, I doubt I'll be able to.

I hope your front wheel is okay John.

me too pat, heres pics.
    i love the carbon wheels they fly due to less riolling resistance and weight. but this made me sick, they arent cheap.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I think corima could repair that no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I like the 650c wheel size, just hate the small selection of suitable tires .
    Yep, there is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wheel_Life View Post
    When TE builds a bike for 700c wheels, they use the same frame and make the fork a little longer. Although it rolls down the road well, it puts the riders shoulders awfully close to the back wheels. A lot of people with the 650 bikes hit their shoulders on the tires, and TE's 700 bike make the problem even worse! Just something to consider if you're looking at that option. If I were going that route, I would talk to the folks at TE and see if they might be able to add a couple inches to the length of the frame.
    TE has a 2" longer frame. Maybe it works better. I have a friend who moved his brake bridge and managed to use 700c wheels. Did not look good, but worked well

Quote Originally Posted by nvmxskier View Post
    Can't beat Tape. I switched a month ago and liked it so much I cleaned all the glue off my wheels and re did with Tufo Tape. It is so easy, a T4 para can mount in about 6 minutes. I haven't had one issue with them either since I mounted, even in some technical crits.

P.S. 700c's seem to work pretty well.
    I have bought some tubular tape, but never used it. I´ve heard that it increases overall rolling resistance - don´t know how, but the article writer had a way to measure that. People also says it´s very hard to remove the tape if you have to change the tubular.

Last weekend I glued a (pre-stretched) tubular by myself and did not waste more than five minutes. I used surgical gloves to handle the glue and had no problem at all.

And did you get the Force R with the 700c option?

John

It's hard to tell from the photos if your wheel is just scuffed up a bit, or if it's cracked. If it's just scuffed up,a good bike shop should be able to sand that out for you. I did a half iron distance tri last year, and there was a lot of debree in the bike lane. I flatted the right rear 3 times used both spares, and I had to ride a flat on a zipp a little over 20 miles back to transition. The bike shop was able to sand the edges of the rim where the roadchewed it up a bit, and it has been fine. I swiched from Conti Sprinters to Conti Competitions and have not have a flat since(knock on wood)

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    John

It's hard to tell from the photos if your wheel is just scuffed up a bit, or if it's cracked. If it's just scuffed up,a good bike shop should be able to sand that out for you. I did a half iron distance tri last year, and there was a lot of debree in the bike lane. I flatted the right rear 3 times used both spares, and I had to ride a flat on a zipp a little over 20 miles back to transition. The bike shop was able to sand the edges of the rim where the roadchewed it up a bit, and it has been fine. I swiched from Conti Sprinters to Conti Competitions and have not have a flat since(knock on wood)
    its not just scuffed, a layer or 2 of carbon fiber is exposed on the outside. i'll try to get a better pic. are those conti's better than tufo jet specials. i called several lbs none would mess with the wheel.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com