Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4-ap who's taken it & how has it helped you?

Question 4-ap who's taken it & how has it helped you?

Is it hard to get? Will Medicare/Medicaid pay for it? I'd like to try it.

Medicare will pay for it, print all the articles here from Wise, and Acorda, neurologist preferably, you are now armed and ready. There is a bit of a co-pay though, but if enough starts to happen the benefit will be worth the $$$. This is the way I did it and others here, so the method has a good track record. Not to mention it will impress the doctors with your knowledge, and persistence on recovering, even if it is slight. Go for it.

A l r i g h t y!!! Thanks alhavel I'll do that. How did it help you?

I tried it well over 10 years ago, had more feeling in my legs. But it wasn't enough of a benefit for the $100/month.

It's given me a lot more endurance, hence the stupid thing I did last night. I walked about 5 blocks from a parking garage up and down concrete stairs, crossing busy NYC streets, and standing for 3 hours. Sure it doesn't look pretty, but, I did manage to impress a friend of mine who's never seen me go that far yet without stopping. Actually I was impressed to, it was close to 90 degrees, good thing the sun was setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
    I tried it well over 10 years ago, had more feeling in my legs. But it wasn't enough of a benefit for the $100/month.
    Thanks!
    You're the 2nd one that told me increased feeling. No side affects?
    Yeah 100 month is steep.

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    It's given me a lot more endurance, hence the stupid thing I did last night. I walked about 5 blocks from a parking garage up and down concrete stairs, crossing busy NYC streets, and standing for 3 hours. Sure it doesn't look pretty, but, I did manage to impress a friend of mine who's never seen me go that far yet without stopping. Actually I was impressed to, it was close to 90 degrees, good thing the sun was setting.
    Thanks!
    Endurance huh. You're walking. Did it help you move anything new?
    Any bad side affects?

Hummhhhh, the longer I'm on it the quicker some reactions are getting, hence, I'm catching myself before, would have been a crash. A bit more feeling, some of the destroyed valves in the veins in my legs have started to work right again, that's something no one can explain to me yet. Seven years of leg swelling from fluid build up, thanks to numerous clots destroyed them, and now they seem to be working fine, weird.

As good/bad as I walk I guess I wouldn't trade it for anything, the longer I'm on it the better it seems to be working. As far as a cure, stem cells, and waiting for trials, I might well be on a collision course to really functioning good. My luck I'll be too good for whatever everyone is working on, I just keep plugging and trying anything I can get my hands on or do.

My current cheerleading squad consists of all my doctors to date, nurses, and staff, who basically let me try and do whatever I want. I always get "Your the Boss" statements. I only seem to use them for hair brain ideas I get from here and other people, like Pat Rummerfield and Mc Donald from Kennedy Kreiger. I'll try anything once.
    Last edited by alhavel; 07-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    Hummhhhh, the longer I'm on it the quicker some reactions are getting, hence, I'm catching myself before, would have been a crash. A bit more feeling, some of the destroyed valves in the veins in my legs have started to work right again, that's something no one can explain to me yet. Seven years of leg swelling from fluid build up, thanks to numerous clots destroyed them, and now they seem to be working fine, weird.

As good/bad as I walk I guess I wouldn't trade it for anything, the longer I'm on it the better it seems to be working. As far as a cure, stream cells, and waiting for trials, I might well be on a collision course to really functioning good. My luck I'll be too good for whatever everyone is working on, I just keep plugging and trying anything I can get my hands on or do.

My current cheerleading squad consists of all my doctors to date, nurses, and staff, who basically let me try and do whatever I want. I always get "Your the Boss" statements. I only seem to use them for hair brain ideas I get from here and other people, like Pat Rummerfield and Mc Donald from Kennedy Kreiger. I'll try anything once.
    That's AWESOME! SO HAPPY FOR YOU! THANKS FOR EXPLAINING!

You have a great attitude.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Alhavel, are you SCI and not MS? are you managing to get medicare to pay for Ampyra?

I'm trying, but not having much success yet, just received my denial letter from Medicare(HealthSpring).
    We denied this request because:
    The request did not meet the prior authorization criteria. Ampyra is approvable for individuals with an impaired walking ability secondary to a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. Medical documentation of the diagnosis was not submitted.
    My doctor isn't willing to work on the appeal..."too much work!" even though I said this would require appeal before we started the process.
    Apparently I can appeal myself so looking into it.
    Any information you can share about your process of achieving receipt of Ampyra would be supremely helpful.

I'm thinking of going back to compounded 4AP in the mean time, I recently called a few compounding pharmacists in the area to check pricing.
    Best price was Walgreens 1200mg a month $43 (120 * 10mg capsules)

Joy for me I just changed spinal doctors and this doctor isn't willing to write me a prescription for 4AP... win freaking win. So have to compile all the literature again. Tired of this... even thinking of taking the 200 mile journey back to my original spinal doctor, like this isn't enough hassle.

Mona~on~wheels, if you haven't tried 4AP, I would say try it. You really don't have much to lose and a lot to gain if you're one of the 33% it's effective for. Just read up on the side effects so that you know what to watch out for. Good luck.