Thread: Urologist

Urologist

Hi everyone. I have an appointment with a urologist for the first time post-SCI. Its way over due i'm sure since i'm 5 years post. Anyways I am wondering what to expect when I go see the urologist for the first time? What kind of tests will I have done?

Also, one last question. It took me 13 months to get an appointment with a urologist. Is that a normal wait time?

Thanks in advance!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

A health history is in order: how do you manage your bladder? how many UTIs per year? Last UTI? erectile function? It is important to do a radiological test that looks at anatomy. My clinic orders an ultrasound of the kidney and bladder; an urologist may order an ultrasound or an abdominal CT scan. Depending on your urological history and management they may order a cystoscopy to look at the interior of your urethra or bladder. My clinic also orders a renal scan which looks at the blood flow to kidney and how the kidney empties urine. I have never seen that most urologists order that.

Again depending on your level of injury, urological history they may order urodynamics that look at the pressures inside your bladder and how much fluid it holds,etc.

pbr

Here it is normal with 13 month waiting for an urologist. So when you are there ask to get a new appointment for the next year.
    TH 12, 43 years post

In Northern California, my experience with getting an appointment with my regular urologist is about 2 weeks, and in emergency situations, the staff will get me an appointment in a day or two. When I went to Stanford or University of San Francisco to see neurourologists the wait time to get an appointment was about 6-8 weeks.

All the best,
    GJ