Thread: Advice on returning to school

Advice on returning to school

Hi! I was in a car accident in January and became a c6 complete but t1 functional quad. I was in my last semester of nursing school to get my BSN. I just received the wonderful news yesterday that they will work with me to finish my degree!!! I will just take two semesters to complete it instead of one. I'm a bit nervous about going back! Does anyone have advice on adaptive equipment that you used in the classroom or to help study? Or any advice on something that helped when you returned to school? Thanks!!

i think getting my android tablet has been the single most helpful tool i have gotten! i can remotely connect to my computer, highlight and annotate pdf files and take notes.

studying ahead has always been helpful for me. any math or science classes are pretty much the same so going online and studying similar courses helps me retain the information better.

congratulations!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Great that they're helping you finish your degree, especially since you're so close to the end!

I'm a nurse so I'm curious how you'll do your clinicals? (such as lifting patients) I dont have a SCI, but do have a mobility issue.

Clinicals

That's a good question. I'm curious as to how I'm going to do them also my first clinical is Community Health and will be at a clinical agency out in the community so there won't be any lifting or that kind of patient care you see in the hospital.
    For my precepting clinical in the spring I'm still unsure how that is going to go, but the Dean and professor are going to talk to me about different options that I can try. They have talked about Psych and Administration but are looking for other areas as well that I could try. I'm keeping my mind open right now and can let you know when I find out more.

That is awesome that they are going to work with you!! I had one semester of nursing school left when I had my injury as well and my school was not so helpful. They didn't want to have me in clinical settings for liability reasons, they were going to make me RETAKE 30 credit hours of courses that I had already passed/paid for just because I had to take one semester off due to being in rehab.
    I ended up needing to pick a completely different career path/school and start all over.

As far as helpful hints..... logistics, logistics, logistics. I am a big fan of getting places 30 minutes or more early. Don't be afraid to speak up if your gut tells you something won't work out. It's better to bring the possible issue to the table before hand.

Best of luck to you in completing your degree!!!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    That is awesome that they are going to work with you!! I had one semester of nursing school left when I had my injury as well and my school was not so helpful. They didn't want to have me in clinical settings for liability reasons, they were going to make me RETAKE 30 credit hours of courses that I had already passed/paid for just because I had to take one semester off due to being in rehab.
    !

Becky
    How is that even legal?