Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I setup my footplate? (also FREEWHEEL question)

How do I setup my footplate? (also FREEWHEEL question)

Hey there,

My footplates have always been a hassle...

I have a customized footplate which is wide, and thick, which gives me that extra inch or so because my footplate can't move up anymore. It's in the picture on its own. I removed it because it's ugly and bulky, but also because the FREEWHEEL does not work with it.

I now have a more-stock footplate. The problem is, as you can see, my feet can never stay flat. They are always moving around, and its annoying, also bothers my seating position. As you can see from my pic.

ALSO the problem with this footplate when it comes to the FREEWHEEL is that it TILTS the chair way too far back (like it increases the dump, you know what I mean?) so that my anti-tippers are scraping the ground ... and I need my anti-tippers., but its generally too reclined anyway.

So my questions are

#1) how is your footplate setup? how are my feet supposed to sit on the plate? is it normal what they are doing now?

#2) I cannot use the freewheel with this... I FINALLY after months of part-hunting got the freewheel to work, but it is way too reclined to the point it is annoying and also it scraps my anti-tippers..

what do I do?
    I really want to be comfortable
    and I really want to use my freewheel... jesus! I've had so many problems with this thing, but I know it is an amazing tool

You have another inch or so of upward adjustment.

how do you guys have your footplates setup?

and those with FREEWHEELs how is your footplate setup? pictures?

From your pics, that looks like a Quickie angle adjustable footplate. If so, you're in luck, I have the same footplate with a FW setup on it.

I have some pics from a while ago, but not online. If I find sufficient time to upload and post them, I will.

Regardless, even if not a Quickie, you need to raise your plate up at least 1", perhaps 1.5".

Also, the angle is too steep. It needs to be leveled out a bit.

The FW has an adjustment, for ride height. Once the foot plate is up some, and also more level, we can go there.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

@dale, thanks, please do post pics and more info

the problem is

#1) If I make the angle more evened out, it would be too low and it'd make the FREEWHEEL recline the chair too far to the point of my anti-tippers hitting the ground.

wait a minute the FREEWHEEL has an adjustment for height? I need to look at the manual, can you tell me more about that? maybe it's what I am doing wrong?

Actually, you have TiLite's angle adjustable footplate and your clamp will require some modification to properly install the FreeWheel.

Your first priority needs to be getting your footrest adjusted so that your are able to bear weight on it and that the weight is evenly distributed.

Can your ankles still be dorsiflexed to 90 degrees?

Do you know how to adjust the height of the footrest on your chair? As I said, you still have an additional inch of upward adjustment...

I've already got the proper modification to install the freewheel.

yes my ankles can be dorsiflexed.

I don't know how to adjust it,
    I always have to wait for the tech guy and he comes to my area once a week... it's brutal having to wait for a simple adjustment, argh.

anyone else?

Page 4 of the Freewheel manual tells you how to set the angle so that you are not tilted back so far. However, depending on your wheelie bar height, you may not be able to use the freewheel with them. My wheelie bars were causing problems with the freewheel in deep grass, so I took them off, and have no issues flipping over backwards when the freewheel is attached- the added weight and length of wheelbase helps this.

Do your wheelie bars rotate upwards? Mine I can turn them to lock in facing up, so this may be an option if they're in the way and you don't need them like zapp suggested.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.