Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Opinion Time. What Hand Controls do you think are The Best?

Got you, I was just stating in my circumstance there was no need to fix something that wasn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I've got Menox, and find them to be a real pain in the ass: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ox#post1286114

I'd love to be able to go back to Monarchs, and this will be a primary consideration whenever I get a new car.
    Usually most people prefer Menox, especially because of the secondary function buttons which Monarch doesn't have.

Why are they a pain in the ass? They're like triple the price too so you'd have thought they'd be way better...

Not that just because something's more expensive it's always better...
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

The constant pulling back to accelerate is tiring. I use cruise control when I can, but frequently it's just not safe. I drove I-70 for six hours on Saturday and only was able to use cruise control for a tiny fraction of the time, due to congestion and bad weather.

The fact that it's on the right (in a left hand drive car) means that it's more difficult to reach for things on the right (radio controls, sunglasses, etc) while driving. With Monarchs it's possible to briefly steer and accelerate at the same time; I can't do that with Menox.

The stick is installed in my car such that if someone needs to set the seat closer to the steering wheel (it's currently all the way back) they may unknowingly press the seat against the stick and thus depress the brake.

That's just me, though - I'm sure they're great for some, maybe most people who have them.

The constant pulling back to accelerate is tiring. I use cruise control when I can, but frequently it's just not safe. I drove I-70 for six hours on Saturday and only was able to use cruise control for a tiny fraction of the time, due to congestion and bad weather.

The fact that it's on the right (in a left hand drive car) means that it's more difficult to reach for things on the right (radio controls, sunglasses, etc) while driving. With Monarchs it's possible to briefly steer and accelerate at the same time; I can't do that with Menox.

The stick is installed in my car such that if someone needs to set the seat closer to the steering wheel (it's currently all the way back) they may unknowingly press the seat against the stick and thus depress the brake.

That's just me, though - I'm sure they're great for some, maybe most people who have them.
    Ok I think I'm getting you, so it's the lack of proximity of the hand controls to the wheel, having to pull back to accelerate plus the placement of the hand control lever which are the issues?

I'm sure I've read that Menox can be installed on either side and you just need to ask the mechanic installing it to place it where you wish, the height and angle are also adjustable which means that (perhaps) it could have been adjusted when installed to be closer to the wheel.

Maybe you could get it refitted?
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Bell View Post

Maybe you could get it refitted?
    That's something to look into - thanks for the idea.

My installer was pretty adamant that the control could only be installed on the right in a left hand drive car, as otherwise it's in the way of getting into the seat - but perhaps he was wrong. I can't quite visualize how that would work without having to climb over/drag legs over the stick.

That's something to look into - thanks for the idea.

My installer was pretty adamant that the control could only be installed on the right in a left hand drive car, as otherwise it's in the way of getting into the seat - but perhaps he was wrong. I can't quite visualize how that would work without having to climb over/drag legs over the stick.
    Ah yeah I can see how that's a definite problem, I suppose that's why many 'under the wheel' hand controls are so popular because it allows them to be fitted into any type of vehicle without hindering egress/ingress.