Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Time. What Hand Controls do you think are The Best?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Bell View Post
    Well of course a master craftsman is important but what do you mean about 'quality installation' they have to be trained to install it in a specific manner so do you mean like its positioning internally and the length of the poles or what?

I think of course the dealer and mechanic is important but I'd place just as much value on the actual driving equipment itself.

Or not?
    Its complicated

All the mentioned hand controls (other than portable ones) are built well and a good choice depending on the application.
    Some fit better than others in specific applications.

A great hand control in a Ford Focus can be a horrible choice in a BMW

What is a trained installer?

I've installed, modified, built & designed hundreds of sets of hand controls over more than 25 years and i learn something new every day.

Iv'e fixed more hand control installations by mobility dealers, mechanic and friends trying to help someone out than i care to remember.
    Some of them were down right scary!

While it's not rocket science, it appears to be something few people understand how to install properly.

I've seen hand controls installed by local mobility dealers where the customer went back and complained about them being too hard to drive with only to be told "thats just the way they are" so the customer adapts and or doesn't drive much.

I have offered the following for as long as i can remember.

"If you ever feel there is something wrong with your hand controls (even if we didn't install them) please come in for a free inspection by a certified mobility craftsman."

I really don't like the idea of people driving around with poorly installed hand controls!
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I've been using Wells's CT-100 for 12 years. Love them. They've worked great in a Pontiac, BMWs, and my current Audi.

http://www.wells-engberg.com/
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Its complicated

All the mentioned hand controls (other than portable ones) are built well and a good choice depending on the application.
    Some fit better than others in specific applications.

A great hand control in a Ford Focus can be a horrible choice in a BMW

What is a trained installer?

I've installed, modified, built & designed hundreds of sets of hand controls over more than 25 years and i learn something new every day.

Iv'e fixed more hand control installations by mobility dealers, mechanic and friends trying to help someone out than i care to remember.
    Some of them were down right scary!

While it's not rocket science, it appears to be something few people understand how to install properly.

I've seen hand controls installed by local mobility dealers where the customer went back and complained about them being too hard to drive with only to be told "thats just the way they are" so the customer adapts and or doesn't drive much.

I have offered the following for as long as i can remember.

"If you ever feel there is something wrong with your hand controls (even if we didn't install them) please come in for a free inspection by a certified mobility craftsman."

I really don't like the idea of people driving around with poorly installed hand controls!
    You sound like you really know things back to front. I've got a website specifically on this type of equipment and I might shoot you a PM sometimes and pick your brains if that's okay!

I don't think I've come across anyone more knowledgeable on these forums so far.
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Bell View Post
    You sound like you really know things back to front. I've got a website specifically on this type of equipment and I might shoot you a PM sometimes and pick your brains if that's okay!

I don't think I've come across anyone more knowledgeable on these forums so far.
    Ok, thanks for the compliment.

btw:I've had at least one website specifically on this type of equipment since the early 90's
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Ok, thanks for the compliment.

btw:I've had at least one website specifically on this type of equipment since the early 90's
    Really? Do you think you could link it to me and I could look over it and hopefully learn something new?
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

I'm looking at hand controls for the first time. I don't have much strength in either shoulder, arm, or hand; the right being the weakest, and I'm right hand dominate. I also have poor grip. The flexibility in my fingers and wrists is also poor.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks
    T
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Here's a link to a thread that I started several months ago regarding my handcontrols.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=174596
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Second for the Sure-grip push/rock design. http://www.suregrip-hvl.com/

Monarch also makes a push/rock design that may or may not be better, I have not seen them other than pictures. The Push/rock with the vertical handle lets me drive with one hand when I need to. The heel of my hand and pinky rests on the control, and with thumb and 3 fingers I can hold the wheel. Very useful.
    Last edited by dr.zapp; 07-12-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Very cool! Less complicated than I imagined.

Thanks you guys!
    T
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

I'm surprised nobody mentioned menox yet. You operate these with your right hand. Push forward for brake, pull back for throttle. Being on the right side there out of the way for transfering in and out. I have a set of these ready to go in my 04 gto very soon.

http://www.menox.org/en/hand_controls/
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2