Thread: Decubitus Ulcer: Healing and Autonomic Dysreflexia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Decubitus Ulcer: Healing and Autonomic Dysreflexia

I have a stage 3 bed sore on my right ischial. It is the first time I have been confined to bed in 37 years as a C-4 incomplete quad. My caregivers can see the bone, it is pretty deep. I have a new cushion in my chair (air pulse) and my bed is a tempurpedic. I am good at relieving pressure on it but I just can't get it to heal. Currently I am going through a series of tests to see if the bone is infected. One of the biggest issues I deal with is autonomic dysreflexia. When I get into my wheelchair (on a limited basis) I start sweating profusely. Is there any way to deal with this sweating? It usually slows down after a couple of hours. It is slowing down my rehab. Thanks, Mark

New England Resources?

I live in Southern Maine and would like your opinion on the best place to go for help with healing a decubitus ulcer and dealing with autonomic dysreflexia. Thanks

I take chlonidine hydrochloride 0.1mg for the severe sweating.
    It's a blood pressure med but the side effect is it helps with the sweats. So be careful.

I'd also try a pain reliever.

I have wounds on my legs and when any pressure is placed I start sweating.

Good luck.

Check if there is a diabetes clinic in your area as they deal with wounds too.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

If bone is visible you have a stage 4 wound and should not be up in your chair at all if you are serious about getting it healed. No available cushion can relieve the pressure enough. In fact, you should not lay on it in bed. It is no wonder you get AD when sitting on that wound. Imagine how much pain you would have if a bone was protruding through the tissue in an area where you have sensation and you were banging on it with your fist.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Good job on the 37 yrs without bed rest but like 55 says, "you should not be up in your chair at all if you are serious about getting it healed". You're looking at a long battle....you should consider surgery. IMHO
    Brian

Autonomic dysreflexia is a sign that there is a noxious stimulus. The noxious stimulus is that you are sitting on a decubitus ulcer over your sitting bone. You should not be sitting but for 1-2 hours per day as that is putting direct pressure on the wound over the bone.

As a provider I can have the best wound treatment dressing in the world for an ulcer; but the environment - sitting, transferring, shearing, shifting, surfaces - those are in your control as the person with the wound. You must eliminate the pressure.

pbr

zero pressure EVER or it will not heal. End of story. And especially not in your CHAIR!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager