Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Li-Po Lithium Ion batteries for electric handcycles.....

Li-Po Lithium Ion batteries for electric handcycles.....

So far it's just been Sealed Lead Acid batteries. These things are great, but they are heavy. Well, now e-bikekit has started selling Lithium Ion batteries and I wanted to put the prices out there.

As you can see they are pricey. However, I just sold one of my customers the 48v 13ah battery so we will see how he gets on.

• Sealed Lead Acid: 36v 12ah = $204
    • Li-Po: 36v 15ah = $644
    • Li-Po: 36v 20ah = $844
    • Li-Po: 48v 13ah = $624
    The weights for the Li-Po's is about 1/3 of the SLA. The SLA quoted above weights about 25lbs.

I have not tried the Li-Po's myself, but I hope to have a go soon.

Personally, my feelings at this point is to stick with the SLA's. I like that they are "cheap". I do not worry about the extra weight, since you cannot really feel the weight when you are up to speed.

But I am glad that the Li-Po's are out there, and I hope they will come down in price one day.

Thanks Mark for the update on the lithium battery. I look forward to reading a report from your customer who is using one now.

What current draw is involved with an electric handcycle?

Any other advantages on the Li-Po batteries other than weight savings?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Power output. I did some rough calcs...given the right motor/technology setup...how's a reliable 20 horspower handcycle sound to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Power output. I did some rough calcs...given the right motor/technology setup...how's a reliable 20 horspower handcycle sound to you?
    Absolutely, incredibly, and in all other ways: FUN!

For my money, I'd be after extended range before speed, I think.

I'd have to be in to hand cycling, first, of course.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

The disadvantage of the Li-Po is that they don't discharge slowly like the SLA's. They go from full power to no power in a very short time while the SLA's decrease more slowly before full discharge.

Is the 48vlt 13ah one battery or four like the SLA's? Will have to check them out.

I checked the e-bikekit website and they have not updated it with the Li-Po's yet. But those prices and sizes are accurate per an email they sent to us dealers.

BTW - In case it wasn't clear, I am an authorized dealer for e-bikekit.....so everything I sell is at their prices and backed by them, and shipped directly from them to you. So if you can buy through me then it keeps me in their good books as a dealer, so to speak.

As for the Li-Po's I am excited to get my hands on them. The biggest advantage is clearly the weight (1/3). But as Patrick says, they go from hero to zero in seconds flat. I will try my best to learn more about things such as charging rates, useful charging cycles.

My plan is to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall. It is about 460 miles. I was wondering if I could do 100 miles per day? Or approach those kinds of distances? My plan was to swap out batteries 3 times, using my wife/parents in the van. But imagine if I could carry enough batteries for the whole day? That would be very cool. And then charge them up overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What current draw is involved with an electric handcycle?
    Good question. I will take a guess*

W=IV

W = Watts/Power
    I = current
    V = volts

I = W/V

I = 500/48 = 10.4 Amps

HOWEVER. With the 48v option the power output can max out at 1000W. This would equate to 20 watts.

The battery would not last so long at this output though...!

* - WARNING high school physics ahead, take with pinch of salt

Absolutely, incredibly, and in all other ways: FUN!

For my money, I'd be after extended range before speed, I think.

I'd have to be in to hand cycling, first, of course.

It is so much FUN Dale. This is the first innovation to come along that really levels the playing field. Rather than a/b cyclists slowing down for me, They can either draft behind me at 18t mph or I have to slow down for them.

If a person can backpedal to work the brake and push the throttle switch up and down, they can ride again or for the first time.

I've always loved handcycling, it's what keeps me sane. The last few years has been a challenge with worn out shoulders etc. The PP has brought the fun back into it bigtime.

I'm stickin' with my SLA batteries mainly because of the quick dropoff in juice with a LiPo. I'm getting ready to buy another 12vlt battery to bring it up to 48vlt so I can do an extra 15 or so mile. I have the 15ah 36vlt for that little bit of extra juice and the new 12vlt will be 18ah.