Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth getting a Galaxy Samsung 3 or should I just stick with the 2

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Am 60 and don't really get this.....all you really need is a cell phone which I pay 20.00 for 3 months of service.
    Please explain why we need all this extra stuff at such a great expense.....not joking just don't get it.....my youngest son has one he is 21 pays 100.00 a month....I think that could go a long way for the real things you need like car ins....repairs....and such.
    When I was young these things were not around and could do without them today myself.
    Now if I damage my old phone I will have to go to a new plan that cost 10.00 a month.
    All he really needs is a talker phone without all that tech crap and save 1,000 a year.
    Then he ask me for money for something and I tell him you can cut back on the phone deal.
    First things comes first and till you understand that am not giving you a dime till you smart up.
    Am gona give up my directv because there is so much junk on it and my antenna gives me more programs I like than they offer. and it does not cost me a dime since I have had a tower with antenna for 37 years.
    And picture is just as good as directv.
    They will charge you as much as they can if you keep buying it.....don't buy it no more watch it come way down.
    I may do without cell phone if my old one gives out.
    Art

I agree with most of that, I finally got a smartphone earlier this month, got the droid incredible 2 with ICS, it's great.
    I work in computers, networking last thirty years, so it comes in handy for me.
    but it's each their own, if they can afford it, go for it.
    I'm sure years ago someone was saying who would ever need a TV?
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    S voice isn't as good as Siri, but oh well.
    The voice commands/actions on Jelly Bean are better than Siri.

Yes, I've used both. I have a Galaxy Nexus running JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Am 60 and don't really get this.....all you really need is a cell phone which I pay 20.00 for 3 months of service.
    Please explain why we need all this extra stuff at such a great expense.....not joking just don't get it.....
    The reason I purchased my first (and still have it) Blackberry was because of travel. Highway conditions/updates/GPS and the ability to email work with updates about my medical status from Toronto while still in the hospital parking lot. Texting/email for work/family when they know I'm on the go. I'm also a news junkie and Twitter is lightening fast for traffic updates or other breaking news local or regional. On Bluetooth with my after-market radio in the car, I don't have to do anything and if someone calls me, it comes right through on my car speakers with just one ring as an announcement - so totally hands-free and legal. Especially helpful when travelling to visit family who are more than an hour away by highway.

My brother saw mine at the beginning of 2011 (when we first started talking again after 20yrs of not) and just HAD to get one .. handy for him to check the radar weather while out in the fields or check the markets for soybeans/corn/wheat while on the road (trucker). I have to laugh at him though - the 53yr old had to take a class to learn how to run his Android. lol

I'm loathe to upgrade (for environmental and political reasons - Africa and the fight over raw materials in modern-day electronics and the destruction of these 'throw-away' phones by women and children's hands dealing with toxic substances) but I'm getting pretty tired of resetting my phone by unplugging the battery once a day .. plus the roller ball is slowly dying. So I will, this fall, contribute to my carbon footprint and succumb to consumerism which hurts those vulnerable. (lol - but not really - more like a pathetic 'I wish it was better' guffaw)

Another drawback on the Android is that I've heard its battery has to be constantly reset as well - has anyone who owns one found this to be true?
    Last edited by lynnifer; 07-18-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Another drawback on the Android is that I've heard its battery has to be constantly reset as well - has anyone who owns one found this to be true?
    Nope. My Galaxy Nexus does drain the battery faster than my iPhone(s) did, but the screen is significantly larger too. I can buy an extended battery for it though. iPhone is non-upgradable (though it's a non-issue).

Android is an OS. "The Android" is a misnomer. I'm sure some phones have hardware issues, but I wouldn't generalize it to every device running Android.

On some Android phones that weren't made well yes that has been an issue, also it happened more often with the older OS's. I've got a Nexus S 4G which is not going on 2 years old and i can't remember the last time I've had to pull the battery, nothing like I had to with my blackberry which was a couple of times a day. The android phone I got from my brother and used between the blackberry and mine had that issue and I pulled the battery every few days.

There are several Android phones with batteries that aren't removable, I haven't heard of owners having any issue's with that.
    Most everything I say is

Thanks you guys. My brother's 'Android' phone (thanks for the correction Scottie the hottie and isn't-it-time-for-you-to-have-children) seems to work perfectly but a co-workers's Android phone needs the battery removed at least once per shift when I work with her.

The new iphone is supposed to have a bigger screen .. which is why I'm waiting for Fall. I was going for an Android, until I read about the improvements coming from Apple.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks you guys. My brother's 'Android' phone (thanks for the correction Scottie the hottie and isn't-it-time-for-you-to-have-children) seems to work perfectly but a co-workers's Android phone needs the battery removed at least once per shift when I work with her.

The new iphone is supposed to have a bigger screen .. which is why I'm waiting for Fall. I was going for an Android, until I read about the improvements coming from Apple.
    your co-worker probably changed so many settings it screwed up their phone
    and they have to reset it now and then to clear it
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I actuallt just bumped from the s2 on to the s3and I too am personally stoked with it's performance and features, you can actually sit there and just have conversations with s-voice, custom wake commands, I even tried things like "are you a sexy girl" and she says... "it's a secret" i set her to UK version cause it sounds sexy, lol! and screen scots by swiping your hand?: i mean this thing is more powerful than my PC now, and it has 6gb of ram 2.4ghz dual core ect.. now i just sit at my computer desk on my S3 most the time, or both I can just say my wake up command if i need an extra computer that is voice activated, double the productivity, lol! i actually was not going to get it because I liked the s2, but i ended up coming across this site that actually does not Bull sh_t you about giving rebates to purchase through them, I ended up getting one for $103! so i am pretty stoked, I have never seen a site like this that isnt spamming me with pop ups, and blind siding you with deceptonal offers and crap like "cash back is actually a mailed check taking 4-6 weeks) I'll add the link below if anyone is looking at buying a new phone or actually almost anything online anytime soon, they are huge, Im impressed by the lack of deception marketing, I have been getting mad lately, does anyone else fee like google search reslts have been getting more and more narrow? and vague?: wtf is up with that?: and I have had 3 different people try to scam me just this week, and I keep hearing about the new western union send me shipping cost so i can pay you through through paypal with modified email headers and steal your money. what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    your co-worker probably changed so many settings it screwed up their phone
    and they have to reset it now and then to clear it
    With an Android phone that is very possible. I've got mine rooted and have gone through many different ROMS before settling on the one I have been running for a long time now and it's more stable then stock and has a longer battery while also giving better performance. WIth that said, many of the ROMS that I tried were horrible and would cause it to lock up or crap out on my several times a day, I quickly removed those for others when I ran across em.

Quote Originally Posted by jtag-man View Post
    I actuallt just bumped from the s2 on to the s3and I too am personally stoked with it's performance and features, you can actually sit there and just have conversations with s-voice, custom wake commands, I even tried things like "are you a sexy girl" and she says... "it's a secret" i set her to UK version cause it sounds sexy, lol! and screen scots by swiping your hand?: i mean this thing is more powerful than my PC now, and it has 6gb of ram 2.4ghz dual core ect.. now i just sit at my computer desk on my S3 most the time, or both I can just say my wake up command if i need an extra computer that is voice activated, double the productivity, lol! i actually was not going to get it because I liked the s2, but i ended up coming across this site that actually does not Bull sh_t you about giving rebates to purchase through them, I ended up getting one for $103! so i am pretty stoked, I have never seen a site like this that isnt spamming me with pop ups, and blind siding you with deceptonal offers and crap like "cash back is actually a mailed check taking 4-6 weeks) I'll add the link below if anyone is looking at buying a new phone or actually almost anything online anytime soon, they are huge, Im impressed by the lack of deception marketing, I have been getting mad lately, does anyone else fee like google search reslts have been getting more and more narrow? and vague?: wtf is up with that?: and I have had 3 different people try to scam me just this week, and I keep hearing about the new western union send me shipping cost so i can pay you through through paypal with modified email headers and steal your money. what gives?
    Great to hear you haven't fallen for any of these online scams. The most recent one I've ran across is where some one post in a forums such as these for their very first time and makes it sound like their way of getting cash is the one and only way that isn't a scam....
    Most everything I say is