Thread: Kayaking

Kayaking

Hello, I'm a c5 quad and I'm really interested in buying a kayak. I was wondering if there are any quads on here that kayak? If so I was wondering what kind of setup you have. I've been looking at tandem sit on top kayaks for my wife and I. We haven't picked one out yet but I'm thinking about getting the Perception Sport Double Play 12.0 kayak.

While searching ideas for the paddle and a way to hold it in place I came across this: http://www.disabledadventurers.com/PadFixLeg.html . Has anyone used this setup before and if so how was it?

My other concern is the seating. I don't have very much trunk control so I would need a higher backrest to help support me. I've seen a few different seating options while searching around but I'm not sure what to go with.

I'm also thinking about getting outriggers to help steady the kayak that way I don't have to worry about tipping over as much.

If any of you have any suggestions or recommendations it will be greatly appreciated!!

I'm a C7 and can't manage a kayak so I switched to the duckie (below) and had a lot more success and fun. Plus it is more stable and better for your skin.

Thanks for the info! How reliable are the inflatable kayaks? I thought about getting one but my concern with them is that I'm floating down river and it pop or something crazy.

My swimming skills are less than stellar and I wouldn't want to be stuck!!

I am C5-7 inc. I started out on a 2 person sit atop. I was able to paddle pretty well, then my husband bought me a reg. sit in single kayak. The only trouble that I have is getting out. We use a gaitbelt. I have not tried rivers or streams yet, just lakes and the atlantic. I hope to try rivers soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer86 View Post
    Thanks for the info! How reliable are the inflatable kayaks? I thought about getting one but my concern with them is that I'm floating down river and it pop or something crazy.
    They are very reliable but always have a patch kit on hand. I recommend starting on a lake.

Get hold of Brain at http://www.ideamobility.com/ He's a quad, he paddles and makes some stuff for others people.

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer86 View Post
    My swimming skills are less than stellar and I wouldn't want to be stuck!!
    Of course you would never go out without wearing a good quality PFD (personal floatation device). You should get one that will hold your head up if you go into the water.

I used to paddle a rubber ducky, and while they are much more stable and hard to flip, if you plan on doing any white water paddling, you can get thrown out or even flip. A rubber duckie can get leaks, but I have never seen one "pop". The leaks will be relatively slow, so you have time to patch if needed.

Also, never paddle alone. Always have someone either in the same boat or in another boat who can help with a rescue if you need it. Just good sense for any paddler...AB or PWD.

(KLD)