Thread: Colostomy stoma problem!

Colostomy stoma problem!

The stoma retreated into my stomach saturday. I spoke with the Dr. the was on call where my procedure was done and he said as long as stool was passing I would be fine until Monday. OK, no problem. Today my surgeon sees me and has no concerns, says this happens. He mentions that the stitches have held and the area is healing well, schedules a follow up in 3 weeks.

So, the reason I'm still concerned is that the nurse that was here this morning, an RN familiar with stoma's says this is awful, Dr. is an idiot with bad track record, I need to be concerned of stool in the abdomen, infection, blah, blah, etc. I'm sure she was just being dramatic, as people do, especially a save the world nurse but I can't get her out of my head.

How concerned should I be?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

I would go to the ER and see what they say.

Don't panic just yet

Ideally the stoma should protrude above the abdomen. Mine however does not. My colostomy still works but is a little trickier to maintain. Your surgeon is probably waiting for all of the swelling to go down.

Take pictures every time that you change the wafer/skin barrier or have someone take measurements. Present this data to the surgeon on your next visit. You will have to use convex wafers for awhile or maybe even permanently. Hollister has a line called New Image with a floating flange. I use these with the closed bags. With my crippled hands the drainable bags were too time consuming and difficult to maintain if you have bouts of gas.

Hang in there. It will get better.

It should stick out about an inch in a perfect world. A lot of people have the same problem that you are having and need a revision. I would speak with another surgeon given the info that you received about your original surgeon. The biggest trouble with an introverted stoma is that the wafer can't protect your skin from output as well as a protruding stoma. I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution. UOAA will be a better resource than CC for things like this. Please message me if I can help at all.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Is there no concern of infection? It just seem that stool in there is a bad idea
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

The nurse would recognize an infection and would be obligated to notify the doctor on you behalf.

My bowels didn't move daily before the colostomy surgery. Sometimes I go 2-3 days between bowel movements. I was advised that how often you went before would be roughly the same afterward. Daily is better, but that has never been my post SCI routine.

Keep asking questions. The first few months are stressful and then you find the right products, settle into a routine and have an idea of what certain foods will do to your new routine [for better or for worse = gas, slow output, etc.].

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    The stoma retreated into my stomach saturday.
    For how long? 15-60 seconds? My stoma (protrudes 1/4 inch normally) tugs, pulls and dives into my abdomen all the time when various consistencies of excrement are passing. It looks horrible but I think it is pretty normal (from 18 years of watching all kinds of crap pass).

Keep in mind that many/most ostomy nurses don't live with a stoma 24/7. While they are very educated they don't always have those first person cares/concerns/experiences (it's their job not their life). I'm not slighting them here just pointing out a simple truth. This is YOUR stoma/colostomy.

I'd be shocked if you were leaking into your abdomen. However, you just had surgery so keep an eye on it and don't be afraid to call whomever you need to calm your anxiety over it (they should expect it). Tell them what scares you and why! Make them explain why it is okay if they say it is.
    Last edited by Patton57; 07-03-2012 at 10:48 PM.

A good ostomy nurse can help you with ostomy products that can support your stoma. Notify the surgeon if there are signs of infection, poor stool output.

pbr

This nurse needs to lose her job for the things she said to you regarding your physician. I wouldn't believe her either as anyone with the poor judgement to talk like that to the patient is clearly not capable. Please tell her supervisor,the doctor, or the head of the clinic. He/She needs his/her bags packed immediately. What she told you is enough for you to demand being seen again.